Ballads you love

The post about Chile elsewhere reminded me of this powerful song.

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet!

6 Likes

something about this one gets me. Great piano and pace.
When Bonnie says
“you cant make your heart fell something it wont "
“i will lay down my heart and fell the power that you wont”
“i close my eyes so i cant see the love you dont feel when your holding me”
" and i will give up this fight”

2 Likes

good cover from Bon Iver of "cant make you love me " as well

1 Like

this wasnt a ballad on the record release but in concert this was presented. I remember freaking out int he delta center when they start playing this . Saying things like “geddy plays the gutair ?” and ending with “holy &)&)(& that was awesome.”

1 Like

somewhere musically there is a teenage girl inside me just waiting to get out, I don’t know why I like this stuff, but I do? Here’s a ballad for your teenage girls. They will think you are a cool dad :slight_smile:

This girl from San Jose attended the Berklee Conservatory in Boston. I think she’s immensely talented

1 Like

Hey man, I won’t turn away a good pop song. I’m with ya.

1 Like

Man, last night I had to turn everything off around 10:30 pm but music and get me some musical chills. It helped. A lot.

1 Like

Great article. Validates a lot of how I think many of us on this forum feel about music. Hearing this song for the first time was a solidifying, memorable event (in particular, the bridge solo at at 4:20 forward) there’s something about the tone of the guitar and band synchronicity just triggers those chills every single time. The famous "Take a step back’ intro is also worthwhile, because they really hit the ground running after engaging the crowd in a very humanistic manner.

In Canada November 5 - 11 is Veterans’s Week in the lead up to Remembrance Day when we honor those who have fallen in war. This song was written to particularly honor those who fell in Afghanistan. The Highway of Heroes is the stretch of the 401 freeway in Ontario stretching from Canadian Forces Base Trenton to Toronto. This is the route the fallen would take as they returned to Canada. As the fallen began to be brought home the Coburg Fire Department decided to stand and salute on the overpass as the fallen passed by. That quickly escalated so that pretty much every overpass and many areas alongside the freeway would be lined with fire and police departments, Scout troops, Legion branches, and citizens with flags and signs for each fallen soldier who came home. Thankfully the numbers have slowed down but the tradition continues to this day for any soldier who might fall on peacekeeping missions or any overseas operation.

1 Like

Josh Groban and Sara Bareilles duet of “Both Sides Now.”

1 Like

We all have songs that hit us hard, usually based on when we hear them and what else is going on in our lives. I found this one at a challenging time in my life. I also like it because the singer-songwriter, John Ondrasik, performed it publicly at a huge benefit concert in New York City for FDNY firefighters a few weeks after 9/11. As he sang, the hall was full of grown men–hard-core firefighters–weeping openly. It’s a very meaningful song to me for those two reasons.

1 Like

Beautiful song!

And yes, hearing a song often conjures up the precise emotions you were experiencing when you first hear it.

At a particularly difficult time in my life, almost 50 years ago, I first heard the following song. I had not thought about it in decades, but heard it in a public setting a few days ago, and had to walk out of the building to avoid being caught in tears.

2 Likes

I can’t believe that I’ve never heard that song until just now. It’s beautiful, and so I looked up its history, which you probably know about, but really fascinated me:

2 Likes

Yes, it is a beautiful tune! I’ve been trying to learn the 3 guitar parts for the last few days, and they’re not difficult to play, but hard to figure out; each player played with a different open tuning, and Clapton and Whitlock used capos at different frets on the figure board. This probably explains why there are no covers of the song…

When the mood and the music match this one is wonderful.

I like a little power with my ballads. Provided here by the late, great Gary Richrath.

This was a bit before I started paying close attention to music, but I heard this one on the radio a lot. These guys were good.

5 Likes