Ballads you love

This is going way back. I was a junior in high school when I first heard this, and I listened to it over and over and over. I still know all the lyrics. It’s on the same album as “American Pie,“ which is another iconic favorite. This is the ballad on the album that I love. I’ve never heard a cover of this song that I thought did it justice.

And here is a cover that I really enjoy and find quite lovely (and a little bit haunting). Elton John appeared with Sara once and said how much he enjoys this particular cover.

2 Likes

Yes, I am really dating myself now. But this is the song that appeals to a young man‘s heart when he is about 17 and trying to figure out who he is. I’m not sure this one can ever be successfully covered. Maybe that’s because no one‘s going to find Joni Mitchell available to sing background vocals.

1 Like

I agree

I always consider the signature landmark of any “great” band is the ability to write and perform decent ballads.
I’m a sucker for ballads; which is why I love this band. They wrote some real chestnuts. Here’s one of my favorites:

4 Likes

Curve Ball. I am going to throw a Murder Ballad out there:

2 Likes

Another newer one that is a traditional ballad:

Also a classic:

5 Likes

Muscle Shoals baby!

5 Likes
3 Likes

Truly a songbird:

6 Likes
3 Likes

I can still sing that one all the way through.

2 Likes

Maybe one of the saddest breakup songs ever…

2 Likes

I love Johnnyswim. Good call.

My favorite song by them:

1 Like
5 Likes

Here a song my wife and I love. This is by Ashley Tisdale, who I guess was Candace’s voice on Phineas and Ferb (for those of you with kids). They covered Paramore’s song. We love both versions.

And the original:

1 Like

I really enjoyed that.

1 Like
1 Like

Fun song. I always end up humming it all day after hearing it. (So guess what I’m doing now?)