Ballads you love

I’ve always really enjoyed this song and I’d love to read a book of the singer’s adventures.

1 Like

One more. I love the classics. This song won the Academy award in 1936, with Fred Astaire singing it. (No, I wasn’t around then.) It’s a timeless classic. This is a nice modern cover by a truly talented vocalist. Try singing it to the woman you love some time. She’ll love it.

1 Like

Here is a pair from one of my favorite writers of all time (I don’t think either were already posted…)

3 Likes

I was thinking about Fast Car as I fell asleep last night. The good old realistic small town American Dream. Great song. Reminds me of where I grew up…

A haunting ballad.

“The Boxer” is one of the best songs ever! It paints a marvelous picture and the two part harmonies are beyond compare. A few weeks ago I heard a great cover of it by a couple of local guys, vocalist and guitarist. They knocked it out of the park. I can’t remember their names. Need to find out from my friends that know them.

5 Likes

I thought long and hard about including this one, but it’s one of my favorites. The musical homage to Aaron Copeland, the analogy to his personal journey, etc. make it my favorite Billy Joel song.

The Ballad of Billy the Kid

2 Likes

Here’s one that probably a lot of you have never heard. It’s one of my favorite songs.

2 Likes

This may be in part in that I was born in El Paso, and still have family there.

Then you, of course, have to follow up with Feleena.

3 Likes

I’m putting this here since its one of my favorites

2 Likes
2 Likes

Don’t forget “Taxi.” Chapin was a gifted guy.

1 Like

Here’s another one in that same vein.

2 Likes

Yes, Fast Car is amazing. I’d enjoy a topic specific to Haunting Ballads. How about Long Black Veil??

1 Like

1 Like

Here is a legendary one.

5 Likes

My first concert I attended was Styx at the Salt Palace in 1979 and Dennis DeYoung wore a Cubs jersey on stage, I would imagine the same one.

Tommy Shaw with a fabulous 'do.

Brought back memories watching that.

2 Likes