Ballads you love

1 Like

NIce. The cover is a ballad! I hope Paramore likes it.

1 Like
2 Likes

As a huge Smiths fan, this is truly a beautiful and haunting song about showing your depressed love and devotion to someone in such a macabre fashion. “And if a ten-ton truck kills the both of us, To die by your side, Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine”. Great selection!

2 Likes

It depends on what you consider a ballad. If you mean a song that tells a story then…

Love of my life by queen is great.

Mr. Tambourine man and boots of spanish leather by Bob Dylan

3 Likes

I have posted elsewhere that I am a big fan of the Edmonton Folk Music Festival and volunteered for the festival for a number of years. One of the highlights each year is the finale on Sunday night. Everyone on the hillside of the natural amphitheater stands and links arms and sings Four Strong Winds together. There are always a big group of volunteers who get up on the mainstage to song with whoever is leading the song that year which sometimes is a headliner and sometimes just a volunteer. It is always an incredible experience. This year since there was no festival they had Mary Chapin Carpenter sing the song and then anyone who wanted could submit a video of them singing along with her. They then compiled all of the videos together and put it up on youtube on the Sunday night that would have been the finale.

I’ve always used the “I know one when I hear one” definition for the term ballad. So I decided to look it up:

Ballads have a long history in music, poetry, and literature. While the meaning of ballads and their form has continuously shifted over time, we ultimately associate all ballads with some form of storytelling. For example, a ballad can be a slow, mournful love song—but it can also be a silly, light poem.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/music-101-what-is-a-ballad-learn-to-write-a-ballad-with-examples

1 Like

Saw Ray Lamontagne in SLC about a year ago. Best concert I’ve ever been to, and it’s not close. Saw Sting at Usana not long before that, and he was good, but Ray’s concert blew it out of the water. I’ve also seen clapton multiple times, as well as several other highly respected musicians. Ray Lamontagne’s concert was the best by a very wide margin.

1 Like

As a side not if you like the showy aspect of concerts, or interactive experiences, he’s not for you. Basically tells people to shut up and listen

This is also going way back, but it’s very nice. I think it’s interesting to see a famous pop performer’s rendition of a truly classic, super-traditional ballad.

2 Likes

Can’t believe this one not posted yet…

3 Likes

Love the photo of a very young David Bowie.

Lots of people have speculated about what this song means. Paul Simon says he does not know exactly what it means.

2 Likes

This cover is not well known, but it’s terrific.

This is one of the most-covered songs of all time, by Jimmy Webb, one of the greatest songwriters of all time, that appears on several lists of the greatest songs of all time.

The story behind the song:

2 Likes

This one tops the list for me.

The lead singer for Woods of Ypres (David Gold) was killed in a car accident about a week before this album was released back in 2012. It was an absolutely incredible album and would have catapulted them to the top of the metal scene had Gold not passed. It even includes this eerily prescient line:

“Back On the highway, under the moon, my final moments, still wondering about you…”

This entire album gives me all the feels, especially this song.

Witchita Lineman is one of the songs on my “Perfect Song” list.

2 Likes
1 Like

This one is from before my time, at least before I was paying attention to music, and the vocalist is the great Harry Nilsson. Paul McCartney said that if Nilsson hadn’t had serious alcohol problems, he would’ve been remembered as one of the greatest pop vocalists ever.

3 Likes