Ba Bye…

It’s why I said it won’t happen. Just wish there was a way to somehow make the league work without schools involved.

1 Like

I’ve seen many on here say they don’t. They always bring up education and room and board. Maybe I shouldn’t say the universal “You” but name specific people. That’s Fair criticism.

1 Like

@BamaFanNKY, this is a very a good time for you to stay out of this discussion. It doesn’t involve your team or even your conference, and your comments are really not appreciated by anyone.

6 Likes

Fair. Maybe not everyone feels that way but it does seem to be a majority of people who really think past decades players weren’t paid. College football has always paid players.

You know, one thing that’s really striking is how USC and UCLA did this.

They have so much ‘respect’ for their conference partners they put out press releases and tweets before even talking to anyone in their current conference.

I get it, most everyone loves money, it’s just annoying when the ones who love it most try and pretend they’re some saints they aren’t.

8 Likes

Since @Buhbye liked this I will self deport myself from the board. I remember getting the invite back from him. I guess my time here is over. It’s been real. Finally, pushed all the wrong buttons I guess.

I’m out

1 Like

Ah don’t worry. This is just an interesting time. I think too many are over reacting. Sure it stings that this is happening. But it’s not your falut. Please stay and enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

Stay as long as you want. Just don’t troll and please try to be a good guest.

3 Likes

He is a good guest and adds to the conversation as an outside the bubble perspective. But that is my thoughts ban me to for all i care.

We as a fandom need to grow and hold our heads high. We beat Oregon twice. Took the championship out right. We will be just fine. We are the Pac12 champs and dusc and ucla can’t handle that. They are the problem so good riddance. Money talks, and we being results. Which makes us desirable. They way i see it. This just has begun.

8 Likes

I tend to agree.

Telling him to “stay out of the discussion” was bad form, imho.

7 Likes

I don’t disagree with any of that. But we also need to accept the reality that this entire shift is being driven by two things: dollars and eyeballs.

For all the success Utah has had, we don’t have nearly the fanbase and following as someone like UCLA or USC. That’s the primary reason those schools were chosen, it really has nothing to do with on-field results. I think we’re getting better in that regard as success increases our exposure nationally, but we still aren’t going to bring in nearly as many eyeballs as someone like Oregon or Washington. In terms of viewership and the amount of people we bring to the table, we’re probably closer to a team like Iowa (I see us compared to them quite often).

That’s what has me concerned. Utah could have remarkable on-field success and still be left out simply because we don’t bring enough fans to the table to warrant splitting the revenue pie even further.

5 Likes

They were chosen for one reason.

The #2 TV market in the country.

I know the USC and UCLA shills of the world want people to think this was some master plan they had, but it’s obvious it wasn’t.

Fox orchestrated this. And they care about one thing. TV markets.

6 Likes

Have you ever been to Corvallis or Pullman?

FTFO!

2 Likes

I always chuckle at the inevitable Corvallis/Pullman retort in these conversations. Yes they are podunk towns but they’re in the spectacular Pacific NW which also happens to be in the conf geo footprint. The other conferences we’re talking about have like 3x as many podunks and they’re in truly undesirable and far-flung regions.

5 Likes

That is a fair concern. Thanks for expressing in further detail. Time to see what happens.

1 Like

Pair up with Colorado and come join the party. Sure travel times will suuUUUck, but think of the money and exposure.

FTFO!

3 Likes

I really think that this consolidation (don’t call it realignment anymore) is going to just be about football, period. All the talk of academics, AAU, traditions and history is window dressing. It’s going to be all about football and who’s committed to that.

As such, a national league will emerge consisting of 40-50 teams in two conferences from coast to coast.

Right now there’re maybe 15 teams whose place is secure. Everyone else should be taking steps. If I’m TCU, Wake, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, et al, I’m not sleeping well.

Utah will land in the top 50. It might take a few years but it will happen.

7 Likes

Would do that in a nanosecond. To the extent the B1G is positioning itself as having solid academics, somewhat of a contrast with some of the SEC schools, we match up nicely, as does CU.

We’d be happy to help fill out the western wing of the B1G, help you guys not have to travel 2 or 3 timezones for every single road game.

While we don’t have the massive built in TV audience, we put on a good TV product.

It’s hard to say where CFB is going, but if the two super leagues at Tier 1 model predominates, our TV footprint - like our recruiting footprint - will grow. The West is growing very fast, the B1G would be making a smart long bet.

5 Likes

I’m getting the feeling these super-conferences are on their way to pushing the NCAA to the side and taking ALL the revenue. The NCAA is doing about $1.16 Billion a year right now. Why not make your own Athletic Association?

4 Likes

Knew this was coming, but wonder who they’re talking to.