Ba Bye…

Wait. I thought the PAC-12 members had all locked arms and were united, singing kum-bah-yah on conference calls, etc.

1 Like

It doesn’t feel so much as things might go off the rails, it’s looking more and more like the rails don’t exist anymore for at least 6 current PAC schools.

3 Likes

If Utah performs as expected the rest will take care of itself.

FTFO! U$C

5 Likes

“Dr. Hill… paging Dr. Chris Hill”

4 Likes

Now more than ever.

1 Like

Another conference title would help a lot.

4 Likes

Just like USC (of late), UCLA, Rutgers and Maryland … right?

4 Likes

Canzano adding some context to what might be some dated reporting out of McMurphy:

Canzano: Phil Knight talking with Big Ten? Meanwhile, Pac-12 and ESPN in “productive” talks (johncanzano.com)

Canzano doesn’t exactly take a jab at Phil Knight, but this explanation of events makes some sense. It was crazy right after the LA schools announced. Hopefully what we’re hearing recently is a pre-season “let’s juice this story some more” reverberation.

5 Likes

Listen to Spence Checkets interview with Mark Harlan today. It was very informative.

Maybe…but every little bit helps.

They think we’re pretty even if we’re no good, go figure, but I don’t recommend that strategy.

FTFO!

What was said?

3 Likes

What was said?

3 Likes

Go listen to it. It’s like 30 minutes long.

For one thing, he said it’s been good to see Utah’s numbers and where we’ve come from, and that “Utah will always have options”.

While acknowledging the SEC and B1G have pulled away on big money, he said a lot of network folks have indicated there’s an appetite for other conferences & schools.

Emphasized the PAC is focused on getting the media rights deal finalized, dismissed the rumors - that Utah and other schools met with the B12, and he likewise is disregarding the rumor Oregon is in Chicago meeting with the B1G.

I was in my office drinking my coffee when I read I was actually in Dallas meeting with the Big-12. I felt like I was in my office, but apparently other people had more accurate information.

• Utah is in a good position
  • Extraordinary growth in our own media numbers
  • he predicts the PAC will stay together.
  • If that’s not the case, Utah will have options
  • losing LA schools was a blow, no question, but the last 3 or 4 years of our current deal have not reflected what the PAC is worth.
  • Utah has managed their debt well, we’re in better shape than other schools.
  • discussed brand vs current state of programs. USC is a huge brand nationally, but has struggled getting eyeballs watching recently, based on what the team is doing.
  • Utah has has multiple 3+ million viewership games recently, based on how the program is doing. (We’re definitely punching above our weight, IMO)
  • NIL discussion… lots of current support for athletes, but athletic department is putting together connections and framework to connect community with the athletes.
  • Thinks we may have 10K fans in Gainesville, we blew past our 4500 allotment pretty quickly.

Great listen, agree with Uteopia.

5 Likes

Success on the field may help somewhat, but eyeballs are the ultimate driver in all this.

Utah could win the next 5 conference titles, but if the other conferences don’t see enough people watching them do it, the it doesn’t matter one but when it comes to expansion consideration.

6 Likes

UCLA has lots of eyeballs, but not sure how many will be watching TV when they begin to get hammered in the B1G. And we still haven’t seen how much of this “new money” will be blown on travel.

3 Likes

One thing he mentioned that I did not fully catch is that each athlete is eligible to receive up to $6,000 per year from the school. I’m pretty sure he said it was based on academic achievement, but I am not sure. I listened a second time, but still didn’t get it.

1 Like

Wilner with a thoughtful update to the recent crop of rumors that riled everyone up, etc

Pac-12 survival: What to make of Big Ten expansion plans, Oregon’s search for an escape hatch | KSL.com

3 Likes

We’ve known, at least for last little bit, that nothing will happen soon. I doubt we’ll hear anything expansion wise until at least the end of the season, at least in regards to BIG. Perhaps the PAC will add someone before then, but something tells me otherwise-- intuition maybe.

So, I s’pose until further notice its status quo.

3 Likes

Here’s a thought

How about we win it all and let god sort it out. :wink:

8 Likes