Ba Bye…

Agreed.

And, speaking of academic/acceptance rankings, I noticed Florida fans were pooping on Utah’s ranking. The funny thing is that, as I sit on several boards and work in a selective investment industry, most of my colleagues went to Stanford/Harvard/Penn/etc – nobody ever said anything to me. haha

3 Likes

Ok, Fidelity opened a investor center (phone center) like the one’s in SLC and Dallas, TX. The theory was with FSU and FU right in the middle of their site placement.

Short answer, they have had a terrible time finding qualified people to staff the site. Don’t know if it is educational or the fact you need a rap sheet to get accepted to any of those schools down that way, but it has been a challenge.

This has always interested me During a looong time in large law firms I’ve interviewed and voted on hiring at least 100 lawyers right out of school. Their later success has been unrelated to their school, as far back as I can remember. Individual academic ranking and such, yes; school, no. I’ve also fired lawyers from places like Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, and Berkeley. I can think right now off the top of my head of a half-dozen grads from “lesser” schools who are superb and very successful attorneys. Success in the real world is very different from academic pedigree–at least in my experience. Having the “right” pedigree will get you interviewed, but it’s no guarantee of anything beyond that.

6 Likes

This makes me happy working for a competitor.

From The Athletic this morning. Any ideas about what this might mean for the PAC?

ESPN OUT OF BIG 10 TALKS

The Big Ten is in the process of finalizing its media rights deals, with sources telling The Athletic the league hopes to make an official announcement by early next week. In a stunning development, ESPN is not expected to land one of the Big Ten’s packages, a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations confirmed to The Athletic.

In addition to Fox, which had locked up Big Ten rights months ago, the conference is likely to partner with both CBS and NBC. Such deals, if finalized, could result in the following Saturday slate: a noon ET game on Fox, a 3:30 p.m. ET game on CBS and prime time on NBC. Multiple sources involved in the negotiations have reiterated over the past month that the Big Ten has prioritized those windows throughout the process.

ESPN officially pulled out of Big Ten negotiations after saying no to the conference’s final offer of a seven-year deal worth $380 million per year, a source told The Athletic on Tuesday. Sports Business Journal first reported the developments.

The news is undoubtedly historic. ESPN has carried Big Ten football and basketball games for the last 40 years.

1 Like

Canzano lays out why the B1G ESPN separation should be good for the PAC:

Canzano: Pac-12 Conference gets a much-needed win (johncanzano.com)

5 Likes

ESPN walking away from the table is huge. It likely won’t earn us better than expected money from our media rights, but it will possibly get us some better time slots for games.

It could vault the conference into a brand name versus the old east coast view of “U$C and the wannabes.”

3 Likes

ESPN has the SEC and ACC for early games as well as prime time games. It also has BIG12. I can’t believe the PAC will get better time slots moving forward unless folks believe 10 am mountain time to be a good time slot.

I think it’s mainly the Western primetime slots they need (which of course is late night in the East). Some B1G matchups could have otherwise helped cover those.

1 Like

Also, remember that ESPN spins off games on to the SEC, ACC, and Longhorn Network. It’s a great product and would be great to see ESPN take over the Pac 12 network. As a side a show like one a guy I know does for the SEC Network would be great to have a P12 version:

“Regents have expressed concerns about how UCLA’s move — alongside cross-town rival USC — could financially wallop UC Berkeley while also increasing the strain on UCLA athletes because of the travel burden associated with competing in a conference spanning one coast to the other.”

2 Likes

Reminds me of the axiom, “don’t ask for permission, ask for forgiveness.”

4 Likes

Same one many people in legal trouble have used.

There will be some grandstanding involved by the UC Regents, but the Ruins will be gone anyway.

1 Like

“Properly made” begs a lot of questions. I’ve read that purported delegation. It’s a flimsy basis for what UCLA did. A good lawyer could drive a truck through it. It’s revocable, subject to compliance with university charter, mission, policy, the law, etc.

I hate it when sportswriters write about something other than games. They’re all so dumb.

2 Likes

All the Regents have to do is say no to stop it.

1 Like

they wont

1 Like

Probably not if the Pac 12 can’t duplicate the B1G’s contribution to the Cal sports system. But UCLA should be paying spousal support to Cal for a long time.

2 Likes

The scary thing is the Ruins have been losing money in operating their athletics program, and hasn’t really upgraded anything.

3 Likes

things are going swell