Ba Bye…

From The Athletic today:

In the Big Ten, which sent 155 athletes to the Tokyo Games, it is unclear whether UCLA or USC will charter flights for all programs now making a much farther trek east. But missed class time, elongated travel days and the difficulties associated with rest and recovery on long flights are among the chief topics of concern.

Former USC women’s soccer coach Keidane McAlpine, now the head coach at Georgia, was, like most everyone else, stunned when he heard the news. McAlpine led the Trojans to eight NCAA Tournament appearances during his time in Los Angeles, including a national title in 2016.

“How to manage that, the class time, the recovery, providing them an opportunity to be at their very best, I’m glad I’m not in it,” he said. “I’m happy I’m in the SEC, where we do have the ability to charter flights and have some shorter flights and have the ability to, from an academic standpoint, put our women in a situation where they can get all of the things they need. And athletically, to be able to recover.”

NCAA rules mandate a maximum of 20 hours per week for required athletic activities, but that excludes travel.

“One of the rubs that I could see, especially having come from a public school, is professors don’t have to allow online learning,” said former UCLA gymnastics coach Valorie Kondos Field, who led the Bruins to seven national titles. “That was the one thing: What’s the rub going to be between university athletics and professors?”

Many sports traditionally in the Pac-12 have travel partner locations, which allow a school to fly into one location and play two schools, with a bus ride in between, such as the four-plus hour drive from Washington to Washington State. According to a 17-page report produced for the UC regents to assess the move, that would continue in the Big Ten, although flights might be needed between the competitions in some cases because the distances between the sites are greater.

A flight from LAX to Newark is at least five hours. Ditto for a flight to Baltimore. That’s only if they’re booked on direct flights. And what about getting to more remote locales, like Penn State? A chartered flight could get teams to University Park Airport in State College, which might be a necessity for the L.A. schools, otherwise a near-two-hour bus ride would be added to a long flight to Harrisburg.

“Any normal human being, when they fly, they’re swelling, and the recovery time is going to be longer,” Kondos Field said. “(A chartered flight) does improve the sell, and I hope the money is used for that for all sports — not just a handful. It’s still time in the air.”

McAlpine said keeping teams on a fair playing field will also need to be taken into account.

“Let’s say you’re going to play Penn State at Penn State three time zones away and you come back to L.A. to play Iowa, who was at home on the weekend, and they’re taking their one flight,” McAlpine said. “There’s a lot of logistics.”

McCullough recalls when having TSA PreCheck at LAX was the highlight of a travel day. Otherwise, it was cramming into middle seats, dealing with flight delays and being overall groggy on campus after returning from a three-to-four-day trip. And that was just a jaunt to the Northwest or the Bay Area.

“It’s just a tremendous ask of athletes to sacrifice their body more than they already are for their sports and for the sake of the school. I have real problems with this,” she said. “It solidifies what I’ve been telling people for a while now that these schools don’t have their athletes’ best interests in mind all the time.”

1 Like

My totally uninformed guess is that Mr. Knight unilaterally invited himself over to discuss things. The B1G might still be uninterested.

Maybe OregonNike will outfit the B1G conference staff with solid gold shoes?

4 Likes

These type of issues have been my primary concern since this news dropped. They’re sacrificing all non-football sport athletes for the sake of a big football payday. While football is obviously a big deal, there are literally hundreds of other athletes at those two schools alone who will be significantly impacted. Honestly the best solution is to split football into it’s own organization and league structure as mentioned elsewhere, and return all other sports to rational, regionally based conferences.

11 Likes

@UteKing, I’m all for this, as long as we make the “haves” schools pay (a lot) to play in the non-conference sports. Sure UCLA, we will let your gymnastic program stay in the PAC-12, for $10M/year ($1M to each school).

6 Likes

I read somewhere that the B1G payouts from the TV contracts will increase if they add more teams. I think it’s mostly for the chance they get Notre Dame but also for other teams as well. So basically the money won’t be more diluted but should stay the same or could even increase.

Bill Mass, former AD at Nebraska said they underestimated the travel toll on the non-FB sports, when Nebraska joined the B1G.

Kliavkoff mentioned at PAC media day the P10 schools have already felt an uptick in interest from athletes in the olympic sports because of UCLA’s move.

Does Phil Knight really throw all the non-FB athletes under the bus, or insist all events are in Eugene? (That would guarantee an invite, cough.)

Something ain’t adding up here.

I think the “let’s pump the clicks with this Oregon / Phil Knight meeting in Chicago story” theory makes the most sense.

2 Likes

if you were USC and UCLA why not make a deal with the remaining members of the PAC?. For everything but Men’s bball and Football the schools teams stay in the pac-12 with no revenue share and the football teams agree to a non conference football game a piece and switch off a Vegas or Sofi stadium game every year. For basketball they have 5 games a piece (2 home 3 away). maybe throw in 5 million a year a piece too.

1 Like

Many experts predict the loss of U$C and Bruins costs the remaining members of the PAC anywhere from $5MM to $15MM a year. That annual deficit is therefore $50MM to $150MM. The gap is too big. And we let them off the hook on the cash draining travel expenses they’ll be incurring in the BIG? Where’s the upside? NFW

No deal!!!

And as far as non-rev sports goes they will get to fly private charter. If they don’t like the travel time they can always go to Oregon State and Washington State and play other Mountain West schools.

FTFO!

It seems inevitable to me. The B1G has alluded to being interesting in adding more schools. Some have speculated they would go after schools on the east coast but the four remaining coastal PAC teams seem like the most likely options in my opinion.

I’ll bet in a few years our road trips will be to the illustrious cities of Manhattan, KS and Stillwater, OK.

Since KW wants to hand out parting gifts, why not handing out losses to everyone leaving for the next two seasons.

Sounds good to me.

10 Likes

Hayes: Florida game might be most important in Utah’s football history

1 Like

Which is why I say: At this point, I just want to beat Florida.

4 Likes

If the Pac expands I could see them adding Kansas. If you mean Utah joining the Big12, well that’d be a horrible option (even if the Pac were to implode) and one that’s way down the list… hope it never comes to that.

2 Likes

I agree. The PAC needs to go hard after a couple of B12 schools right now. I do think the B1G is going to get four more PAC schools though.

2 Likes

Thought this was a cool analysis across a lot of factors (not just football and bb, but academics, other stuff):

Comes out generally where you think it would - Waiting mostly on ND and the Oregon/Wash would be 1st picks from the PAC12 but UNC and FL St. from ACC are also up there (but issues with their TV deal and duration). Clemson and Utah are about even next with Miami and the Bay area PAC12 schools.

Tier 1
Notre Dame

No-brainers
North Carolina
Oregon
Florida State
Washington

How big should the Big Ten be?
Clemson
Utah
Miami
Stanford
Cal

Others (UVA, ASU, Duke, Mizzou, Pitt, CU, Ok St., UA, TCU, VTech, GTech, Syr, KU, WVU)

2 Likes

Nice to get some attention.

Questions:

• Does the B1G have a minimal western wing?
  • How does Clemson / Miami / Florida State factor into SEC moves? (B1G won’t be in the vaccuum)

I’d rather have a western league for the West, but if it’s going Super, does anyone here care if our allotment range is lower (based on media numbers) as long as our performance determines most of our financial upside?

2 Likes

Thought it was funny there was no mention of our neighbors to the south when schools like Cincinnati, Houston, Rice, and SMU were all considered.

“NO! That is impossible!”

6 Likes

Unless they can come up with some kind of plan to use some regional integrity to mitigate travel costs, this super conference BS is going to implode.

Said it here first.

6 Likes

Agree - someone said it above and how I’ve been thinking about it: Football (maybe BB) should break away and do this super conference thing if they want but all other sports should be more region based. I guess the TV money for FB has big implications and maybe uneven payouts is a way, but quality of the team, markets, etc. change. Still could be worthwhile to consider.

1 Like