Ba Bye…

“Regents have expressed concerns about how UCLA’s move — alongside cross-town rival USC — could financially wallop UC Berkeley while also increasing the strain on UCLA athletes because of the travel burden associated with competing in a conference spanning one coast to the other.”

2 Likes

Reminds me of the axiom, “don’t ask for permission, ask for forgiveness.”

4 Likes

Same one many people in legal trouble have used.

There will be some grandstanding involved by the UC Regents, but the Ruins will be gone anyway.

1 Like

“Properly made” begs a lot of questions. I’ve read that purported delegation. It’s a flimsy basis for what UCLA did. A good lawyer could drive a truck through it. It’s revocable, subject to compliance with university charter, mission, policy, the law, etc.

I hate it when sportswriters write about something other than games. They’re all so dumb.

2 Likes

All the Regents have to do is say no to stop it.

1 Like

they wont

1 Like

Probably not if the Pac 12 can’t duplicate the B1G’s contribution to the Cal sports system. But UCLA should be paying spousal support to Cal for a long time.

2 Likes

The scary thing is the Ruins have been losing money in operating their athletics program, and hasn’t really upgraded anything.

3 Likes

things are going swell

Wait. I thought the PAC-12 members had all locked arms and were united, singing kum-bah-yah on conference calls, etc.

1 Like

It doesn’t feel so much as things might go off the rails, it’s looking more and more like the rails don’t exist anymore for at least 6 current PAC schools.

3 Likes

If Utah performs as expected the rest will take care of itself.

FTFO! U$C

5 Likes

“Dr. Hill… paging Dr. Chris Hill”

4 Likes

Now more than ever.

1 Like

Another conference title would help a lot.

4 Likes

Just like USC (of late), UCLA, Rutgers and Maryland … right?

4 Likes

Canzano adding some context to what might be some dated reporting out of McMurphy:

Canzano: Phil Knight talking with Big Ten? Meanwhile, Pac-12 and ESPN in “productive” talks (johncanzano.com)

Canzano doesn’t exactly take a jab at Phil Knight, but this explanation of events makes some sense. It was crazy right after the LA schools announced. Hopefully what we’re hearing recently is a pre-season “let’s juice this story some more” reverberation.

5 Likes

Listen to Spence Checkets interview with Mark Harlan today. It was very informative.

Maybe…but every little bit helps.

They think we’re pretty even if we’re no good, go figure, but I don’t recommend that strategy.

FTFO!