Ba Bye…

The PAC is a more valuable TV asset, even without USC and UCLA, than the BIG 12.

9 Likes

The monetizing of news? People used to pay me as a paperboy for their subscription to the LA Times. I think paying the sites is well worth it. The local papers need the money to dig deeper into stories. The NY Times is shocking how great their coverage is of random places. It’s my go to first thing reading in the morning.

5 Likes

Not arguing the paper. The challenge was the internet portals. In 2000 people could read the “paper” for free on the web, many started using the free web instead of paying for a subscription. It is a primary reason so many papers died. The remaining papers finally got things set up so they can get paid. Some are still slow to the party, but they are getting there. Hopefully they use the money to pay their reporters and staff. So far that seems to be happening.

2 Likes

My local was just bought out by a group buying small papers. They seem to have figured out the perfect model for small town papers to turn a buck and supply a good service.

3 Likes

I don’t have anything against the Big12. I just prefer that my Utes not be a part of it.

12 Likes

Wilner saying Penn State, Michigan & Ohio State won’t be playing 7:30p games in LA.

3 Likes

Yes, and like it or not, I’d guess the LA schools will be playing a lot more cold weather games than they are used to, and at 9:00 or 10:00 AM LA time.

1 Like

The additional 50 million can buy a lot of sweaters.

FTFO!

2 Likes

Seems like USCLA will push hard for the four other west coast schools to join the B1G, sooner rather than later, so they’ll have at least five games in the same time zone every year.

Do people think SC is the power school in this situation. They joined a conf where at best they are #4. The Big 1G is more likely to expand with ND and grab some ACC schools.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s the case but I also think the LA schools will push hard for the four west coast schools. Isn’t the CA legislature looking at the move by UCLA? If they could get Cal to the B1G everyone would be happier.

That’s the idea……as well as playoff expansion, but I don’t think USC will need to promote/push very hard for either.

FTFO!

Also, it’s going to be interesting because leaving a conference hasn’t panned out for anyone recently but TAMU
FZGRo_8XgAAVFzT

Pretty risky. ACC schools have 14 more years on their contract with a nine figure buyout - per school.

2 Likes

We’ll see. Also, some have reported that number is 50 million. So who knows.

Uhhhh……it’s worked for the Utes!

5 Likes

$50 million a year for 14 years perhaps, but that seems high. Probably closer to $30 -$35 million a year. The GOR requires the school to essentially make the media contract whole. I can think of a couple of ways around it. A group of lawyers could challenge the contract and somehow invalidate it. Unlikely but maybe. More likely is that the SEC would offer so much more revenue for the school that it could afford the penalty. While most conferences work in the millions, the SEC (Big 10?) talks billions.

Name the team from the conference Utah joined that won a title.

55.5 Million per team was the SEC payout for 2021 I believe.

1 Like

It’s been speculated, that if enough of the ACC schools want to leave that the GoR would be a moot point. The question being, what quantity of schools would be that would void the GoR.

You said “hasn’t panned out for anyone but TAMU”. Now you’re changing the statement to only mean success is a national championship? Gotcha, your Bama/SEC hubris is annoying…The Utes have clearly excelled in their new tougher conference.

3 Likes