Ba Bye…

It isn’t about geography: it’s about the $$$$chools.

Exactly. It’s why my interest in CFB is quickly waning, irrespective of my alma mater. Still a fan of non-revenue sports. As I don’t use my collegiate fandom as a social status, it probably won’t be a big deal.

3 Likes

Back a few years ago when I played NCAA Football 2012, which has a feature to let you move teams around different conferences between each season, I moved teams around largely based on geography.

For example I moved all of the former Southwest teams (SMU, TCU, Rice, Houston) and Nebraska back into the Big 12 and split it into divisions with all the Texas teams in one division and all the “not texas” teams in the other. I also took Miami (FL) and Florida State out of the ACC and put them into SEC as well as making other changes.

Hadn’t played in a while but last week dug the old XBOX 360 out of the closet, played out the season I had left in progress, then when it came to conference customization, I moved UCLA and USC into the Sun Belt and moved Texas and Oklahoma into the WAC (which was still a football conference at the time). Also moved BYU and Colorado State into the PAC12 so there could still be a conference title game (need 12 members to have a title game).

Potential seismic activity:

NBC reportedly wants to turn B1G into ‘NFL of CFB conferences’ in media rights negotiations (saturdaytradition.com)

Good & bad here - if the B1G succeeds in matching the SEC on money, the PAC was smart to let the B1G proceed.

However, this “NFL of CFB” idea may accelerate expanding the B1G. Oregon has undeniable mindshare, nationally. Utah is trying to follow that path.

The big question: How hungry is Fox? Might the PAC 10 get a bigger payday than anticipated, if the B1G stays at 16 for the next couple of years?

Never say never, but support your guys via NIL and get ready for Gainesville!

Savor every snap, guys

1 Like

“support your guys via NIL”

Sorry if already posted elsewhere, but what are the ways people are doing/can do this at Utah?

Hey, who’s running CFB, anyway? :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not sure if there’s a central place where NIL information exists, but I know there are some NIL things going on, there was a golf tourney last weekend that I believe was pretty successful.

Rocker & Uteopia are much better informed on NIL. Since the topic is new & grass roots, it’s pretty hard to know what’s happening.

Seems like it could be a little starter / side career for some enterprising recent MUSS alumni - crank it up!

Hopefully there are some high rollers making an impact until things are more “organized”.

Someone organize a bowling night with the Runnin’ Utes and I’ll be there.

1 Like

Conzano’s deep dive into Notre Dame’s position on whether to join B1G:

I agree that keeping access to the CFP for an Indy ND would help preserve CFB, and might play into David Shaw’s scenario where after some number of years the LA schools decide to come back west.

2 Likes

If I was the PAC 10 I would try hard to get Houston. 8th largest T.V. market in the nation.

On the contrary, I don’t know why Cal State San Diego is so coveted. Sure it makes sense geographically, but the TV market is around 30th and everyone in that town is either in rehab, or should be. They do not care about “their team” or college football in general.

FTFO!

2 Likes

Not worried about LoCal U State. After the Padres Organization goes into full meltdown over the fact they sold off everything to get one player…and they are still sniffing dat Dodger ■■■. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Seriously though, if you are after SDSU you are after some amount of penetration into the SoCal media market. They have gotten some new facilities, but they probably have more to do than Utah did when the Utes joined the PAC 12.

The Aztecs are not a high profile brand. Then again, name a high profile collegiate brand in SoCal that isn’t USC or UCLA. We would be selling recruits on getting to see their families locally when we hit the road down that way. Kind of like we always have.

I don’t know why SC fans are known as ■■■■■■■■ who are living off past glories.

3 Likes

& another negative I forgot to mention is Cal State San Diego is a virtual tie with Alabama academically.

Harder to get into Mater Dei.

FTFO!

1 Like

Well, if you have enough money you can buy admission into SC so there is that. I hear it’s easy to get in and get the degree as long as your Daddy knows someone. Let’s not act like it’s Stanford or Cal Tech. Thankfully I didn’t go to Cal State, SDSU, SC or Alabama. Private schools that don’t invest in athletics FTW!

3 Likes

Actually SDSU has an acceptance rate of about 32% while Alabamas is around 80%

3 Likes

3 Likes

Go easy on Alabama. They’re working to build a university of which their football team can be proud.

12 Likes

They also are more likely to accept more low-income and minority students that have fallen behind. Then teaching them and graduating them to be able to make generational changes. I know that isn’t a big priority among conservatives in Utah and SC fans. There is pride in how they have gone from a Governor standing at the schoolhouse door to one of the Top 25 Public universities educating the minority community.

Weirdly, this was a from a recent playoff article: Among Black football players, Alabama graduated 84%, Notre Dame 82% and Clemson 77%. Ohio State graduated 60% of its Black players.

Again, I am not a grad but I think mocking a school that is doing better 14.3 percent of the undergraduate student body is black at Alabama as opposed to the 1.3% at Utah. SC is based right next to a large population of black folk yet their school is only 5.3%. I don’t even see Native population listed anywhere in Utah’s % of students. Do better.

So, the same as Utah’s?

1 Like

Talking academic smack here is funny. Anyone who’s spent more than a few minutes here in Utah likely would know the educational level of Utah grads. Achievement of a university is rarely tantamount to its quality of students/graduates as a collective.

3 Likes

I hate to say it but the way people disparage Utah, Alabama or many rural states pisses me off. It shows me people have never spent time with the people in those states. Looking down on anyone trying to educate their population is a bad look.

8 Likes