Ba Bye…

Do people think SC is the power school in this situation. They joined a conf where at best they are #4. The Big 1G is more likely to expand with ND and grab some ACC schools.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s the case but I also think the LA schools will push hard for the four west coast schools. Isn’t the CA legislature looking at the move by UCLA? If they could get Cal to the B1G everyone would be happier.

That’s the idea……as well as playoff expansion, but I don’t think USC will need to promote/push very hard for either.

FTFO!

Also, it’s going to be interesting because leaving a conference hasn’t panned out for anyone recently but TAMU
FZGRo_8XgAAVFzT

Pretty risky. ACC schools have 14 more years on their contract with a nine figure buyout - per school.

2 Likes

We’ll see. Also, some have reported that number is 50 million. So who knows.

Uhhhh……it’s worked for the Utes!

5 Likes

$50 million a year for 14 years perhaps, but that seems high. Probably closer to $30 -$35 million a year. The GOR requires the school to essentially make the media contract whole. I can think of a couple of ways around it. A group of lawyers could challenge the contract and somehow invalidate it. Unlikely but maybe. More likely is that the SEC would offer so much more revenue for the school that it could afford the penalty. While most conferences work in the millions, the SEC (Big 10?) talks billions.

Name the team from the conference Utah joined that won a title.

55.5 Million per team was the SEC payout for 2021 I believe.

1 Like

It’s been speculated, that if enough of the ACC schools want to leave that the GoR would be a moot point. The question being, what quantity of schools would be that would void the GoR.

You said “hasn’t panned out for anyone but TAMU”. Now you’re changing the statement to only mean success is a national championship? Gotcha, your Bama/SEC hubris is annoying…The Utes have clearly excelled in their new tougher conference.

3 Likes

More quality material from Canzano: Canzano: There is a singular threat to Pac-12 -- the Big Ten

• PAC #s may be coming after the B1G contract - they’re the standard this cycle. (Why they nabbed the LA schools) JC thinks it may be mid September before anything is solid,
  • PAC schools are solid together, particularly vis-a-vis B12. One AD called the B12 threat “laughable”. This is obviously manifest through time, defying a wide variety of wild rumors.
  • based on TV markets, B1G unlikely to take any more PAC schools this cycle (since they’re positioning for the TV money)
  • if Notre Dame joins, things could change.

The CB circus continues unabated, of course, like summer camp for hundreds of hyperactive boys. I wouldn’t be surprised if El Jefe (CB’s owner) has been pulled into litigation over the years over MLM scandals between patrons, related ruined marriages, etc. It’s one of the most unique digital communities on Earth. There are doctoral dissertations to be mined there.

9 Likes

Fair enough. Just realized they added CU in that graphic. Also, chill out with the Hubris BS. I am not an SEC-SEC-SEC guy. I hate the rest of the conference.

7 Likes

As I like to remind folks from time to time, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. :wink:

What the graphic, sans Utah, shows is for most of these schools, the move was more about the money than it was about the step up in competition when it comes to football.

Most of the schools in that grid were bleeding revenue prior to making their jumps. The scary thing is some of them are still bleeding money based on promises made to the respective conferences regarding infrastructure support investments to their sports teams.

Again, Utah was different because our athletics program has always invested in these things in a way to keep the sheet balanced (unlike in the 1980’s and 90’s when they didn’t really invest in them at all). That said, if they keep escalating costs on the fans and alumni, it won’t be long until they start having financial troubles, too.

3 Likes

I also don’t like the ‘before move’ % because it likely is all time when it probably should be whatever duration they were in the previous conference. And times have changed so using W-L from even back in the 60s/70s seems dubious for comparison’s sake. Interesting, but not really useful to base one’s argument.

Let’s do the last x years of the former conference to the current amount of years in the present conference (Most are 10 prior to 10 now):
Texas A&M was .461% to .568%= +.107%
Syracuse was .289% to .333%= +.044%
Utah was .744% to .562%= -.182% (So down)

The rest are worse but I may update it later.

ok, that makes sense. The 1st table was ‘power 5’ to ‘power 5’ so Utah’s (and TCU) exclusion made sense. Utah’s drop actually makes sense (doing well in MWC was how we jumped) with the early years building depth and being closer to a .500 team but this highlights why it’s not a great argument because we could definitely say we are in a better place ($, facilities, level of talent, became more and more competitive, getting to conf championship, winning conference/Rose Bowl).

Of course, football rules the athletic dept funding hence most decisions are around this, but man, seems like some moves are so stupid for other sports. 6 road games for FB are doable. Sending non-revenue sports further is asinine. I think we should just have football conferences (maybe BB?) then have separate for everything else. This already happens with things like gymnastics, wrestling, lacrosse, etc.

The question really isn’t about Utah or TCU though. More the P5 to P5 move. There are obvious benefits leaving MWC for P5. Also,there is an expected early struggle to changing from G5 to P5. Compare that to the utter domination a program like Utah has done in P12 compared to the former Big 12 CU.

9 Likes

Dan Patrick had some interesting info this morning. He stated that NBC is very interested in jumping into bed with the BIG10 and bringing ND with it. If NBC gets the BIG10 media rights with ND joining, it could lead to more conference realignment sooner rather than later. Apparently, BIG10 is interested in Virginia, Duke and UNC. Obviously, the GOR is an issue for those schools, but throw ND in that mix with Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford and the BIG10 is at 24 with 4 six school groupings.
I think that within 10 years the BIG10 will be at 24 schools as described above, the SEC will be there as well with additions of Clemson, Florida St. Miami and VaTech. Who else would the SEC add to get to 24? Would they look west or north? Does the BIG12 become the other survivor by adding 12 schools from ACC and PAC? Who is in that group of 12? If my math is correct, there would be 7 remaining ACC schools and 6 remaining PAC schools and a few G5 schools that would get looks as well.

1 Like

Warning: ridiculous speculation ahead

3 Likes