Ba Bye…

No, it was all about the student-athletes! Why can’t people get that straight?

1 Like

Why do y’all keep posting links to Paywall sites? I seriously doubt any of us not from these specific areas (or wealthy enough to sub to a billion different papers)are gonna wanna subscribe for one article…

2 Likes

Umm It can’t be the PAC8 without the SoCal schools

1 Like

Should have specified - I was going with the David Shaw hunch that the LA schools might come back in 5-10 years.

Also, Idaho has zero chance of going further back to when they were in the PAC.

3 Likes

Can I get a Montana??

1 Like

Are we going back to PAC or the older Skyline Conference?

I do not understand why Utah fans cling to this west coast fantasy. Merge the PAC and Big 12 and by sheer force of numbers the new conference will be a big dog. It isn’t that hard.

1 Like

Someone get out a map and draw 4 geographic regions that don’t look like a gerrymandered voting district. Have 24 teams in each. Quadrant. 16 team playoff. I could live with it over this mess.

4 Likes

I don’t know. I subscribe to about 12 newspapers though. LA Times is def worth the subscription.

3 Likes

Hilarious that Big 12 fans blather about the Pac 12 mortally wounded, while at least 10 of the Pac could be in the Big 12 today and don’t want it.

7 Likes

The monetizing of news is becoming more and more a thing, unfortunately. The days of open access on the web are starting to come to an end. I subscribe to the SL Tribune, New York Times, and the Economist. Hate to say, but I get better Utah news from the NYTIMES than I do the SLTrib.

7 Likes

The PAC is a more valuable TV asset, even without USC and UCLA, than the BIG 12.

9 Likes

The monetizing of news? People used to pay me as a paperboy for their subscription to the LA Times. I think paying the sites is well worth it. The local papers need the money to dig deeper into stories. The NY Times is shocking how great their coverage is of random places. It’s my go to first thing reading in the morning.

5 Likes

Not arguing the paper. The challenge was the internet portals. In 2000 people could read the “paper” for free on the web, many started using the free web instead of paying for a subscription. It is a primary reason so many papers died. The remaining papers finally got things set up so they can get paid. Some are still slow to the party, but they are getting there. Hopefully they use the money to pay their reporters and staff. So far that seems to be happening.

2 Likes

My local was just bought out by a group buying small papers. They seem to have figured out the perfect model for small town papers to turn a buck and supply a good service.

3 Likes

I don’t have anything against the Big12. I just prefer that my Utes not be a part of it.

12 Likes

Wilner saying Penn State, Michigan & Ohio State won’t be playing 7:30p games in LA.

3 Likes

Yes, and like it or not, I’d guess the LA schools will be playing a lot more cold weather games than they are used to, and at 9:00 or 10:00 AM LA time.

1 Like

The additional 50 million can buy a lot of sweaters.

FTFO!

2 Likes

Seems like USCLA will push hard for the four other west coast schools to join the B1G, sooner rather than later, so they’ll have at least five games in the same time zone every year.