Ba Bye…

Kliavkoff is correct, this is about Student Athletes. The play by others for money will have negative long term consequences. As an accountant i get money is important to the cogs of business. But the product diminishes when you go for short term gains. Long term planning is needed, and frankly adults who know that. I am happy Kliavkoff is the commissioner, he has a great grasp on reality.

U$C is scum and i hope we beat them down so hard this year and win it all. Growing up out west, I’m tired of the east coast bias and elitist attitudes. Lol. Can’t change that, only cheer for the Utes and continue our trend of not backing down. We are in underdog mode again. Which makes us dangerous to play against. Sorry for the lenghty rant. I haven’t had time to express that. Thanks for reading.

7 Likes

Our country’s most admired brands are its universities. Sometimes they show a dark side. Serial sex abuse, parent bribery, cheating scandals. Ever notice how USC is always at the front of those. It’s a pretty amoral institution.

5 Likes

“amoral institution….”?

You should be glad we’re leaving so you don’t have to associate with us any longer.

FTFO!

[quote=The Pac-12 needs to make U$C’s life hell for the next two years.

[/quote]

This doesn’t have to be a bad divorce. Think of the children.

FTFO!

2 Likes

Okay. I chuckled.

2 Likes

We’ll miss your tv market. Your institution hasn’t been the cream of the conference for a long time.

I’m a football junkie. I’ll watch any game. I’ll scroll through the channels until I find one that’s entertaining. I’ll bet I’m not alone in that regard. I’ll bet even some of the 5 million tv households in So Cal will still watch pac10 games.

7 Likes

That part of your post was funny. But come on. You’ve been a pretty good guy here over the years and have provided the Trojan perspective in an admirable, fun-loving way. I don’t recall you ever doing any taunting here (maybe you have, and I simply missed it). Anyway, don’t blow that good record.

4 Likes

Nobody cares about Oregon St or Wazzu

7 Likes

Interesting thoughts from Canzano, and a healthy dose of rationality from David Shaw.

Canzano: UCLA gone? Yup, but Pac-12 leaves door ajar anyway (johncanzano.com)

1 Like

It sounds like a pipe dream, but I left Friday’s Pac-12 Media Day wondering about UCLA’s next 24 months. USC may leave regardless of the media numbers. But we all noted that Kliavkoff was collegial toward both the Bruins and Trojans in his remarks.

He threw a haymaker at the Big 12, sniped at the Big Ten, and lamented the loss of the “college” part of college athletics. But the commissioner insisted the Bruins and Trojans would continue to be treated as respected members of the conference.

He left the door ajar.

Fun to contemplate. Interestingly, I haven’t met a single devoted UCLA fan who likes the move to the Big 10, or a USC fan who really thinks it’s great. (But USC fans are kind of otherworldly about their place in the football universe so it’s hard to tell.)

2 Likes

Someone is going to run the pro forma’s and figure out the “big money” doesn’t add up versus the new expenses. It may require a subsidy through student fees to cover the gap. Though this move, and the subsequent media rights share will benefit TV, it may not be the best option for the universities. In short, the fans of USC and UCLA are right to question the move. USC may be gone, never to return. Something tells me UCLA will eventually return to the PAC.

Leaving the door open was the right move.

3 Likes

https://www.bruinzone.com/fb/messages/49219.shtml

Now I feel dirty.

FTFO!

1 Like

NOW you feel dirty???

8 Likes

On the news tonight KW said he’s convinced more than ever that we’re moving to super conferences and we better be on the right side of how that falls. He also noted that conferences are less meaningful for recruiting and NIL is what will rule college football. He also felt like the playoffs would expand.

2 Likes

Quite realistic, I’m afraid. Certainly depressing.

1 Like

Shaw said he believes the traditional PAC-12 schools will be back together in 5 or 10 years.
I don’t think Utah is a traditional PAC 12 school.

I remember as a kid KSL radio referring to Salt Lake City as the “Crossroads of the West”.

Well… here we are again, kind of. It’s going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.

Maybe in 5 years it will be a PAC-8 again with the AZ schools & us getting pulled East. I hope we stay West, either in the PAC or a western wing of a super conference (though it would have to be a laaaarge superconference for us to get in, maybe 24 or 32 teams.) If we’re in the Tier 2 of superconferences, so be it. There are certainly worse problems to have.

The only thing I’m confident of is Utah is a reasonably strong brand and a solid research university. We’ll land on our feet.

5 Likes

We have a packed stadium with a boisterous student section on the south end, and the rowdy north end zone that makes the Cleveland Dog Pound seem like a library.

Going to remember to have fun attending the games no matter where we end up.

3 Likes

Yeah, he means the pac 8. Maybe minus osu and wsu

1 Like

Reporting in the Athletic interviewing Fox Sports president Mark Silverman suggests the B1G adding the LA schools was solely to get the B1G at parity with the SEC on TV money.

Big Ten’s media rights deal should be complete ‘in the next few weeks’ - The Athletic

Sigh…lol. OK, fine, time for the B12 and PAC to put the guns away and the PAC needs to add a couple of teams, and see what Kliavkoff can do to help fix the media rights problem he inherited.

I can live with that for a few years, easily. Just expand the damn playoffs and let’s see if we can get on that train. That’s the next step up the ladder, for us.

August is here, time to get dialed in for the season.

2 Likes