2023 WBB Discussion

Not really looking at the point differentials of this game, but you are right. Nonetheless, would like to see her improve more. Not saying she’s playing poorly. We just need more of her, especially without Gianna.

1 Like

If there’s a year to make a run at the ship, this is it. Pili’s a generational player. Unlikely we’ll see the likes of her again for awhile. Her jersey will be in the rafters when its all over.

3 Likes

Well, unsurprisingly, our Utes lost to #8 Buffs 65-76.

Pili had 27 pts and nobody else was in double digits. Excluding Pili, Utah was 4-14 from the 3-pt line. Pili was only 1-6 from the 3-pt line, but was 10-18 overall. Johnson was a non-factor, at least offensively. Kennady was 1-5 from the 3.

1 Like

That one three that Kennady hit was pretty big at the time she made it. Put the Utes up by 8 with about 8 minutes to go in the 4th. From that point, Pili had to leave for a cramp and that got Colorado going down low with Vonleh. For that last 8 or so minutes of the game, Utes got outscored by 19 points with Colorado finishing the game on a 23-4 run.

I was still pretty proud of our Utes. They always play hard, but since Kneepkens went down, our offense has been 1/2 whatever Pili can do, with some others getting a smattering. Not a long term plan, and with Robert’s approach of either lay-ups or threes, if we aren’t hitting our threes (like yesterday) it really hurts.

They said on the broadcast that Palmer will be back in “January”. Hopefully more near the first part than the last part as we need her offense. Vieira is very quick, but she does have issues shooting.

1 Like

Just the first P12 game of the season. Really hopeful we can develop more consistency outside of Pili.

Candidly, given how tough the P12 is, I’d be thrilled if we finish in the top 5.

2 Likes

We are definitely missing Kneepens.

3 Likes

Much like Utah men did against BYU, CU sold out defending the 3, allowing the Utes to settle for 2 point FG’s

2 Likes

It is very likely that the PAC will have at least 5 teams. So, yes, you are right. Colorado also went to the sweet sixteen last year and finished third. But, at the same time, the rest of the team does need to pick up their shooting somehow.

3 Likes

UWBB won against ASU 58 - 41. It didn’t seem as though we needed much of Pili’s service tonight. That said, we shot 3’s like poop around 21%.

I’m still not over losing Kneepkens. IMO, Pili is a generational type of a player at Utah, and we need to put a nice supporting cast around her to go far. Kneepkens is just such a piece. Sigh

3 Likes

Looks like Pili had to leave the game in the 1st half and did t come back. Hopeful it was just precautionary.

1 Like

I didn’t get a chance to watch last night, but when I saw 58 points, I knew something was up. This team can score 58 points in a half when it is really cooking. Thank goodness for ASU being terrible and shooting 27%.

Watched the highlights of Arizona/Colorado, and Sherrod had another great game. Colorado eked out a 1 point win. With how the Utes are playing right now, that game tomorrow in Tucson will be time for the team to come ready to play, or they will get blown out.

1 Like

Absolutely

1 Like

https://twitter.com/togethxr/status/1743683217901650360?t=m1gZ034ISMkvp68l6Q9ZRQ&s=19

5 Likes

Lost to Arizona in OT 70-71. Based on stats, it seemed Utah went cold in the 4th. Shooting % also down, only 37.7% FG and 30.6% 3pt FG. Also, sub-par FT% at 68.4%.

Sky has not fallen, but it won’t be easy to finish in the top half of our conference. Depth behind Kneepkens is not there. Also thin in other positions.

1 Like

Apparently the team had either food poisoning or a stomach virus. Multiple people were sick

McQueen missed the shoot around. Lynne was sick. Our teams are just snake bit this year it seems

3 Likes

Yeah they were saying food poisoning on the broadcast. Apparently it was so bad that some players were having to get IV’s.

2 Likes

Not all all good when playing in Tucson, for sure.

1 Like

Utah down to Furd 33-40 at halftime. We could really use this win. Not only about this win, but also about the team’s progress given its new chemistry.

2 Likes

At the game. Great energy from the crowd! Very fun environment. Pilli has been off.

1 Like

1 point game, 3:40 left.

1 Like