2022-2023 Utah Basketball Thread

My bad.

With NIL Branden would make more staying then he would in Europe—

I read the player bios and as far as I can tell this is the eligibility situation AFTER THIS SEASON. It assumes no added years due to injury/appeal.

Done - Marco
1 year left - Brandon Carlson, Brenchley, Holt
2 years left - Worster, Madsen, Stefanovic, Saunders, Ben Carlson
3 years left - Keita, Exacte, Tarlac

1 Like

Branden Carlson just had one of the best halves we’ve had from anybody in memory. 21 points so far. This team is getting better.

1 Like

Really nice win by the Utes!

Branden - career high
Worster - nails
Stefanovic - big shots
Anthony - a rock
Madsen - some big threes

Wazzu didn’t play horribly, their big is a talent. This team is fun to watch.

Kyle Smith looks like some grade-school lunch lady with those hideous glasses. Nice look, Coach!

5 Likes

Team shot lights out tonight. “Hustle Stats” were solid, too. Though Wazzu lost, they played a pretty solid game.

Next up - the Fusskies. It would be great if we can get the sweep his weekend.

GO UTES!!!

1 Like

No reason for Brenchley to come back, I would guess Saunders back in the portal—that would be 3 openings plus the 1 they are holding.

Wazzu started to double Branden in 2nd half—not sure what took them so long & he had the ability to pass to open man & they hit the shots. Plus it opened the driving lane for Anthony.
One nice move by Smith was to play Branden & Keita together towards the end of the first half—Keita had some tough rebounds.

I do not enjoy watching Washington & their zone D.—slows the game down. Might be hard to prepare for on 1 day.

1 Like

Nice game against the Cougars last night with different players hitting key shots. Wazzou didn’t back down but we held our composure when they got it close a few time and held them off. Branden is having a very fine season, really hurt us last season constantly losing him to various health issues (how often do you lose a player for an appendix?)

Washington really was a tough game for us last year. Early in the season we had a few wins, things looks promising when they came to town and we had about a 15 point lead against the Huskies in the second half, but the turnover bug hit us and our team collapsed starting a rather long losing streak.

1 Like

Carlson’s wife is currently a second year law student at the U. I doubt he goes overseas next year.

4 Likes

Utes looking good in 1H tonight.

Exacte looks more and more comfortable, the game is coming to him.

1 Like

I no longer tense up when he shoots a 3. That’s a good thing.

2 Likes

Pretty impressive win over Washington. Craig Smith is looking more and more like a pretty good hire. Weren’t the Utes something like 1–9 at this point last year? The way they defend is a beautiful thing to watch.

6 Likes

We are doing it mostly with the guys we had last year. Which is hopefully good in 2 ways:
1- he has developed the talent he has
2- the young recruits that aren’t contributing much yet, will be developing as well. For example, Keita.

4 Likes

Gotta be happy with the improvements. We needed the sweep. Next weekend is going to be two tough tilts on the road. If the defense shows up like it did today, and the hustle level stays high, we have a chance.

1 Like

Rollie Worster was simply outstanding tonight. Branden Carlson’s 25 points may get the lead paragraph mention, but Worster played his best game and made lots happen.

This was really fun to watch and the crowd was pretty good relative to what we’ve seen. This team deserves butts in the seats.

2 Likes

Looks like Utah will be in second place by night’s end. Who would have thought that?

1 Like

Great game plan by Smith. Utes completely dominated the zone that Wash always plays.

Luka Tarlac got minutes when Keita when down & he was a spark. He has potential.

3 Likes

TCU is good! No. 14 ranked now, blows out Kansas in Lawrence.

3 Likes

Smith is definitely doing some things right. The emphasis on defense is really key.

Worster and Anthony following him from USU were a hint that Smith was a good hire, and both are better this year, and just as importantly… leading the youngsters.

I look at team chemistry in the reactions from guys who might have a reason to not be real happy about things. This year Saunders would have a reason to not be feeling it, but his reaction when other guys do well, or during timeouts has been impressively positive.

Hoops has definitely been a pleasant ride so far this year.

5 Likes