2022-2023 Utah Basketball Thread

I was an Austin Hall guy.

2 Likes

Lived in all 3 over my time going to the U. It was awesome to just walk across the ā€œStreetā€ to attend games at the Hunty. Maybe the new housing will re stimulate attendance.

1 Like

I lived in all 3 and was an RA at both Van Cott and Austin.

2 Likes

Our Next 8 games are crucial because we likely wont be favored in any of the the last 6 games.

The next 8
@ Socal (hopefully a split but likely two losses)
Washingtons at homeā€¦ need the sweep
@ Oregonsā€¦ Need a split
NoCals @ home. Need the sweep
If we do what is expected over the next 8 we are at 10-4. Then we would need two of the last six to finish top 4 and get the bye. Most probable in order of the last 6:
Colo at home
@ Az st
@ Colo
USC at home
UCLA at home
@ AZ

1 Like

This is another reason why the latest loss to Oregon was so disappointing. Really needed that one.

2 Likes

Donā€™t see why we canā€™t beat Colorado at home. Sure they put a beatdown on the Ducks, but they also lost at Cal.

When talking about low attendance, I donā€™t think itā€™s just Utah. Attendance is way down across the board, not just here.

I used to really enjoy basketball growing up. Had season tickets for many years. Followed Jordanā€™s Bulls teams religiously. Played pickup games every day.

However, Iā€™ve become entirely apathetic to the sport in general over the past 20 years. Itā€™s just not something Iā€™m interested in anymore, I donā€™t find it very entertaining to watch, and I canā€™t be bothered to pay attention to hoops at all. If Iā€™m going to cheer for anyone Iā€™ll cheer for Utah, but most times I forget when the games are even on, tbh.

I sort of pay attention to basketball once a year during the first couple weekends of the tourney, and thatā€™s it. The sport as a whole is just dead to me.

4 Likes

I did say that beating Colo at home was the most probable for the 2 wins we will need

Oops, misread it. Just saw where we would not be favored in any of the 6.

PAC will indeed be a grind. We won the first 5 (many of them easier games except the win over Arizona) and now have a lot of a tough ones left.

This is what I think as well. Attendance is down for college ball in the majority of conferences, itā€™s not just Ute fans who are skipping games. For all the history at UCLA, Pauley Pavilion seems to be less than half full for most games.

I used to love the Jazz & watched a lot of NBA games but I have not watched an NBA game in probably 20 years. I just donā€™t care anymore.

I love the Utes and go to a few games but not all of them like I used to. I still watch most of the televised games that I donā€™t attend. With the way the college game is called it can be hard to watch. If there is even slight contact on a dribble drive they always call a foul, with there being way too many offensive fouls.

The Utes under Majerus always played with such intensity, something that is missing these days.

2 Likes

So ASU is only up 24 against Oregon in Eugene

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Any word on why Carlson isnā€™t playing?

1 Like

Illness. Thatā€™s all they said.

1 Like

Non-Covid illness

1 Like

Yep, that was a loss. Hope they can find a way to pull out a win in Galen Center on Saturday.

1 Like

That was going to be a low probability of a win even with Branden, but without him there was virtually no chance. I did think that early they kept it close by good D, but ultimately UCLA just simply out-talented them.

Random thoughts:

Kieta is an athletic freak of nature, but heā€™s not able to stay disciplined enough yet and his hands arenā€™t great. If he develops, look out.

Exacte shoots a three, Iā€™m thinking, ā€œOh, no!ā€ and he tanks it. Then he does it again. What do I know?

What is it with Bill Waltonā€™s obsession with Jaxon Brenchley?

3 Likes

My guess is that Brenchley now looks like Walton did when he played for the Trailblazers.

1 Like

Canā€™t be the appendix again at least.

4 Likes

If somehow Utah were to sneak into the NCAAā€™s, theyā€™d likely end up a 12 or 11 seed and face a team the caliber of UCLA and get their doors blown off.

Utah is better than last year, but there are clearly a couple of levels difference between the two teams we watched last night.

3 Likes

Given where weā€™ve been, thatā€™s a couple of steps forward and Iā€™d take it.

5 Likes