2022-2023 Utah Basketball Thread

Utah @ Cal tomorrow night.

Cal is 1 - 12

1 Like

Looking at the Bay Area Teams records, we should expect to see two wins.

Given the road woes (sans WSU) this team has had, a split may be all we get.

It’s interesting when we get into the “road woes” talk. Sometimes it seems like everyone forgets how hard it is on the road.

Just saw this this morning. The Warriors have the best home record in the nba. They also have the worst road record.

Winning on the road is hard.

2 Likes

We had rather poor games facing Cougar teams. Pulled out a win that took OT in Pullman, the game in Provo didn’t go so well. I’m optimistically hoping for a split but we certainly are capable of a sweep in the Bay area.

2 Likes

If we have any hope of making the tourney you have to win games you are favored by 6 or more (spread is Utah -10.5 tonight)

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/1610442574086701058?t=YdVEp22vUHxj0IjjLXf4_g&s=19

Utes now 5-0 in conference.

4 Likes

I got a text while at the game from a buddy who said the Pac12Net announcers were ripping on Ute fans for the low attendance. They have a point. The crowd was actually better tonight and the energy in the JMHC reflected it. The good attendance at the Viv helped against TCU, too. This team is proving to be worthy of some in person support.

4 Likes

Maybe if the Ute basketball team threatened to move to Vegas or Seattle that might prod the fans out of their apathy? :laughing:

The crazy thing is that if you look at available seats for season ticket holders its limited to just a couple of dozen seats. Seats seem to get sold but people aren’t showing up.

I would say more than just some. Their amount of improvement from last season is like night and day. Eventually people are going to start showing up. I mean, what if they beat Oregon on Saturday and then win @ both UCLA and @ USC? They’d be in sole possession of 1st place in the Pac-12 at that point, as they’d be 15-4 (8-0). They’d also likely be ranked, as a win @ UCLA would be a Top 10 win. I mean, what are all you waiting for? Freaking show up man!

4 Likes

They actually have an EXCELLENT chance to make the NCAA Tournament this year. That win against Arizona seriously boosted their NET Ranking, and if they challenge for the PAC-12 regular season title, they’re definitely IMHO. I saw the other day that CBS Sports has them in the tournament as a 7 seed actually.

1 Like

Getting these wins here early is definitely a sign of life in the program. The game Saturday against Oregon, and the SoCal swing next week loom large in telling us where we are in the PAC 12 pecking order.

The fact we are talking about “positioning” this season stands out as a clear improvement in the program. Last season we would have already moved on to women’s gymnastics and skiing as MBB was already an afterthought. Add the WBB improvements to the mix, and what we have here is going to be a very entertaining time all the way to the CCT.

Just win…keep winning…one game at a time.

GO UTES!!!

2 Likes

You are correct. I’m not sure what they’re waiting for at this point.

BTW, a while back I complained about some specific environment things at the JMHC that I thought weren’t helping, especially one sexually-oriented song they were playing on the PA at time outs. That song is off the play list and the announcer, while still a little annoying for my tastes, seems to have toned it down a bit. With the band playing now it feels more like a college game than a bad attempt to be a pro game.

4 Likes

The students were still out on break, so that makes sense.
The really good seats that obviously are season tickets that sit empty —what the ??

Show up or give them up.

If you missed the Craig Smith bandwagon—hop on before it is too late—he can coach.

2 Likes

They’re dangling all sorts of incentives now to get students to go. If they attend all remaining home games they get free MUSS membership next year. They can get three tickets in a singe student ID.
My TIC theory is that these days the dorms are too nice now so the kids can’t be bothered to walk down to the JMHC. In my day we couldn’t wait to get a break from the cinder block bunkers we lived in.

3 Likes

Cinder block bunkers? Luxury! We lived in mud huts.

4 Likes

Amen to VanCott/Balliff hall - just a short walk to Huntsman and went to every game. Of course, it was still Majerus years so had to go early to get a decent student seat.

3 Likes

I don’t think it makes any sense at all. I mean we have 30,000 students and like 40 show up. Under any circumstance that’s pathetic student attendance.

1 Like

Long gone are the days of students lining up overnight outside the Hunty for rivalry games, or having KALL radio announce over the air a location where a ticket line would start (some random place on campus) with 100s of students then running towards that location. The KALL radio thing was a few years before my time.

3 Likes