2022-2023 Utah Basketball Thread

Well attended game. Good atmosphere. Nice to see Delon & Kuzma courtside.

1 Like

Yes

How?

And I agree there were too many turnovers.

WAY too many turnovers!!! I get ball movement to get to the guy with the open shot, but wow! Had we not been shooting at the clip we were and defending the way we were, that loss wouldā€™ve been a blowout. Credit TCU for making us cough up the ball so much. They definitely saw something on tape.

Smarter passes and ball handling are the big fix items now.

GO UTES!!!

I would say put them on the bench for a minute or two. In one of the recent games the same player had two really similar turnovers on consecutive possessions. On the third time down the court he forced up a bad shot and missed. That stuff canā€™t keep happening because it costs games. Sit the player for a short time.

1 Like

uphill battle getting an NCAA bid after dropping that one. I suppose there is still a chance but likely an NIT bid for this team at this point.

I still believe this group can go .500 in conference play. This conference seems to have two top teams (UCLA and UA) and then lots of fair to middling squads and then Cal. 18 games to go, even if we finish 8-10 thatā€™s a .500 record. Thatā€™s solid improvement from the year before.

I keep thinking that NIT would be a good and realistic hope for us all.

1 Like

and then thereā€™s this :rofl:

Problem is that Exacte is not readyā€”he is a turnover machine.
Saunders Jr. can not shoot & is not a great passer.

So it will have to be only a minute or 2 or they will fall further behind.

1 Like

On the radio postgame Wooster took full responsibility.

That is what Majerus would do. The player would have a front row seat for a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Sometimes only a couple of possessions, but the player would get a glare from Majerus as he was leaving the court, and there was no question why the change was being made.

1 Like

Does anyone else remember how when a Majerus player made a mistake on the court, he would glance nervously at the bench?

Reminds me of one of my favorite Rick Majerus moments. Some member of the press was asking him how he maintained such player discipline on the court. His two-word response: ā€œThe bench.ā€

[Edit: Iā€™m simply reminiscing about a past era, not wishing that anyone would try to use Big Rickā€™s approach.]

1 Like

All this Majerus reminiscing is great, but I think weā€™re all kidding ourselves to think his style would work in 2022.

That ship has effectively said I think.

4 Likes

We had that discussion about this time last year. We all acknowledged that his style would scare recruits away. Things have changed, some for the better, some for the worse. Iā€™ll let you decide which is which.

2 Likes

Boot camp. Police academies. You name it theyā€™ve all changed. I went through 15+ years ago. The academy today is a shadow of what it was. I think the old style was better, but the debate doesnā€™t matter. Weā€™re never going back

1 Like

There are Majerus-level coaches working today. We donā€™t want a Majerus clone. We want a modern Majerus.

2 Likes

I agree to a point but all the great coaches are pretty tough, hard-nosed coaches. Bill Self at Kansas has high expectations for his players and they know it. Coach K at Duke was the same way.
Majerusā€™ style probably wouldnā€™t work today but no discipline and being the nice guy is probably worse in a lot of ways.

There was only one player I saw that barked back at Majerus.

There was a time out on the court so the teams were walking to the bench. For some reason I was watching the team walk back to the bench. I remember Majerus had some words for Jimmy Soto and I saw Soto bark right back at Majerus. Obviously I have no idea what was said but I did see Soto stand up for himself in a game. That kid a a lot of heart and I loved seeing him bark right back at coach.

1 Like

That ship sailed when he abused Lance Allred.