2022-2023 Utah Basketball Thread

I enjoy taking our rival to the woodshed in basketball, football, tiddlywinks or anything else. So yeah, it matters to me.

2 Likes

That’s what is so devastating from that BYU loss. Utah basketball sucked under Larry K. Full stop. A ton of basketball fans tuned in for the first time under Smith vs BYU. It’s a big game, we had the better record, what better time to reacquaint yourself with Utah basketball.

And we crapped the bed. Why would any fair weather fan, or even more dedicated fan, want to go to the Huntsman Center after that effort?

It was a huge opportunity and Utah blew it. For better or worse, Utah lost a huge chance to get people into Smith’s Running Utes.

1 Like

Good god. Get a life. Criticism is fine, but what I can’t abide is unsophisticated criticism. Nobody “crapped the bed.” BYU is a tough venue. A lot of good teams lose there. Pope can coach. This is Smith’s second year. Rome wasn’t built in a day. BYU was super motivated. This is a nonconference loss on the road that wasn’t all that unpredictable. This also is college basketball, which is a lot more competitive than football and where home court advantage makes a huge difference. A hated rival, I guess. But this BYU-hatred and how it turns people’s brains to ■■■■ is the distasteful thing about being a Utah fan. I wouldn’t trade either of those Pac 12 wins for a win over BYU.

8 Likes

In other news, the Wild Kitties we beat, at home, beat a couple of good teams this past week in Tennessee (#6) and Indiana (#14). WSU barely lost to Baylor (#11). Hopeful Smith will get the team ready for a good one against TCU.

Dammit, I agree with SU (without all the condescension).

1 Like

And yet, the home stands will be empty.

So do I, with the same reservation. He’s right much more often than he’s wrong.

Good/bad news. Just received a text saying parking tomorrow night for Utah/TCU is free in the lot just Northeast of the arena. Good news in that we can park right there across the street. Bad news is that demand is apparently so low they can make this offer.

2 Likes

UVU beats Oregon at Duckville.

Not sure if this makes PAC 12 look really bad or the loss at BYU not look as bad.

1 Like

These types of seeming David beating Goliath happen all across college basketball almost every day. It’s gotten almost routine. More parity than the NFL even. It’s great.

This is why it’s irrational to have a complete ■■■■■■■ meltdown when Utah loses at BYU.

2 Likes

Or claiming the Utes are incredible after beating U of A. It goes both ways.

3 Likes

True. Nobody should say they’re “incredible” based on that.

Utes struggling with TCU early on. So many turnovers

11 turnovers in the first half. I am still trying to figure out how we are still in this game. Oh yeah…defense. We can’t be coughing up the ball this much and hope to win. We also need to work on getting cleaner looks for shots.

Hopefully they make the adjustments needed and come back to win this one.

1 Like

TCU killing Utah with drive and layup after layup. I don’t think they’ve made a shout outside 15 feet this half

Looked to me like we could not get to the hoop and we couldn’t stop them from getting there. Quickness issue?

We lost for one reason. Turnovers. The Utes shot a higher percentage, hit more threes, made one more free throw, outrebounded TCU by 4, had the same number of assists. But had 19 turnovers to 10 for TCU.

As a result, TCU shot 65 times and the Utes shot 54, and made 29 while Utah made 25, nullifying our better accuracy.

4 Likes

TCU had something like 15 more shots than Utah. 90% of the story is turnovers and the rest from offensive rebounds given up.

That said, it was a pretty entertaining game to attend tonight. The Utes never quit. TCU had a lot of size/length and quickness. Not an embarrassment to lose to them by any means.

We lost to a ranked team. Happens sometimes. It could be worse. A ranked ASU team lost to USF 97-60. I feel bad for Bobby Hurley…NOT

5 Likes

Most of those turnovers were on Worster and Steph. I
Know how Majerus made players accountable for turnovers. Should that still apply?

1 Like