2022-2023 Utah Basketball Thread

I’ve just assumed we’d lose at Oregon, but there’s really no reason these Utes can’t win there tomorrow night.

Given the number of players who saw minutes last night, the Utes should be fresh for tomorrow. There’s no way around it - the Beavs are a dumpster fire team this season. Shooting percentages were a little low, but generally we had good looks at the basket that just didn’t drop. Hopefully they will clean that up for tomorrow’s game in Eugene. As always, defense travels. If we can get a similar defensive effort tomorrow, we have a shot at something we have never done - the travel road sweep of the Oregon teams.

GO UTES!!!

2 Likes

Altman always gets talent, but this year’s team is underperforming.

There are so many seniors - Richardson, Dante, Couisnard (who really hurt us), Soares, Guerrier. The Freshman Ware hurt us early with some long 3s but he’s not physical.

Last night their hero was Oregon native Soph Nate Bittle who at 7’ plays with heart, so I wonder if there’s been some of the guys checking out we’ve seen under Altman. Richardson was so good as freshman, but he’s far quieter recently.

1 Like

Sorry I’m not getting my hopes up about this game. If we win, fantastic, but not counting on it. I still see Joe Young in my nightmares.

5 Likes

first time Utah has ever swept Oregon St in PAC12 play.

Wayne Tinkles conference record:
2018 7-11
2019 10-8
2020 7-11
2021 10-10 … but Elite 8 run
2022 1-19 (ouch that lone win was against Utah)
2023 2-8

I’m not optimistic, just allowing myself to believe a Utah win is possible. The spread is only 3 points in Oregon’s favor.

so…you are saying there’s a chance? haha

2 Likes

Oregon is playing at a mediocre level compared to their recent history. Not an impossible task to get a sweep on this trip.

1 Like

I’m optimistic.

I’m cautiously optimistic.

I think our guys feel like they let one slip away vs the Ducks here, and Dante got out of hand. Don’t know if Dante will play, but I think we’ll play better. The unknowns are Richardson & others who’ve been underperforming.

2 Likes

Ducks are really aggressive in double teams—but do not go after the ball. Instead they crowd the player—often bang into him, but do not get foul calls as they do not swipe at the ball.
There was a picture in the Trib after the last game where Carlson’s head was being hit by a forearm that was straight up—it was not called a foul, but definitely makes it hard to break the trap.
It will be interesting to see what Smith has for a game plan.

5 Likes

That was a brutal 20 minutes. Can’t win many games shooting 28%. The thing is all other stats are decent by comparison, especially only 2 TOs. Just don’t know if without Gabe Madsen they can pull it together and make up an 11 point deficit.

So sick of losing to Oregon. It’s ridiculous hownone-sided this series is.

Starters currently 7-20 from the field. Granted there’s only four of them playing, but still…. Pathetic offense tonight.

Anthony is having an awful game.

When I tuned in, we were down by 7. Then I had to turn away and when I got back to the game, we were down by 16. I can handle a loss, especially on the road, but I must admit it, for me routs are harder to take. Of course of all teams to have with only four of our starters, why does it have to be Oregon?

They were down 7 with the ball TWICE and then just gagged. Not a great show tonight. Hopefully Madsen isn’t hurt too badly because without him I don’t know we’ll compete with anyone the rest of the way.

1 Like

Classy move there by the Oregon player.

Couldn’t hit water if we fell out of a boat in the Pacific Ocean tonight.

1 Like

The two looong 3s by Richardson at the end of each half were symbolic of how this one went.

Glad the next three are at home.

Keeps fighting, Utes!

3 Likes