2022-2023 Utah Basketball Thread

We have no decent shooters.

and Colorado loses to Oregon St

1 Like

Oregon is just a super-well coached and invariably talented team that is never fun to play because of its hustle and defense.

Reminds me of the Don Haskins UTEP teams. Never fun.

2 Likes

Going 12 minutes without a made basket makes it tough to win. We had good shots just nothing would fall.

Big blow to the Utes, Madsen shelved 4-6 weeks

Bostyn Holt not dressed tonight, either. Lower leg injury in practice yesterday.

This team doesn’t have the depth to absorb this well IMO. Going to be a tough stretch.

1 Like

Oh, great. Bench is getting thin. Does Brandon Sluga have any eligibility left? We may need him.

5 Likes

Does anyone here want my tickets for Sunday’s game vs Cal? I have a conflict. I’ve got 2 seats on row 13, free to a Ute fan if you can use them. Hopefully you’ll be watching a better game than we are so far tonight.

2 Likes

A name I haven’t heard in a long time. Bravo!

1 Like

I guess Utah is truly a “Football School”

Sadly, that’s accurate for now. There’s too much tradition for Utah to give up basketball yet, however.

1 Like

I don’t get these posts.

Second leading scorer goes down, that’s going to impact any team, especially one that’s in year two of an identity change.

Madsen is a difference maker, we all know that….

3 Likes

They took 64 shots and by percentage, nothing dropped. Ben Carlson was a ghost tonight. We missed Gabe.

Madsen generally takes better shots, so losing him as we go into the Conference tournament sucks pretty bad.

2 Likes

These posts are evidence of the problem with the Utah basketball program.

Madsen? Really? He’s the problem?

People! – he was here last year. Yes the UTES have made incremental improvement in one year. Yes, the boys have matured one more year. BUT THEY ARE THE WRONG BOYS!!! We need different boys. Smith has had two years. NOTHING gives us the confidence that he will get better BOYS.

This UTE team has great humans on their team. But they need better basketball players.

Pay the damn money!!! Get this done. Now. Building a basketball program is not like building a football program. WE NEED THREE OR FOUR good players. Get this done. The basketball program has had ZERO leadership for 20 years. GET THIS DONE!!!

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying ZonaUTE but I do think there was leadership under Coach K. Now, the program had become stale and there was a needed change but as far as leadership goes, he was a huge improvement over Giac and Boylen.

Hopefully the talent level increases enough to compete in the PAC. A big bump in recruiting is needed. Will it happen? Who knows.

1 Like

Just like football used to be for a while, basketball needs bench depth to take the next steps. This year’s team has played much better than last year. The overall talent has developed and generally improved, and it shows in the team’s record.

That stated, we are playing on a razor’s edge in every game right now. Right now winning and losing has more to do with the health of the starters because if one goes out, the next man up doesn’t have the skills (yet) to fill the role and keep things rolling. As you look at the roster, we have 6 legit players we can put on the floor (when all are healthy). The others on the bench have talent, but are needing a lot of development to get to the next level (legit starter). Luckily most of them are Freshman. Gabe getting injured hurt us against ‘Furd because we needed the defensive energy and shot-making ability he brings to the floor to keep the Cardinal from just collapsing in on Ben Carlson. ‘Furd is a good team, and was riding a winning streak into the game. We just didn’t have the horses to match up last night.

I still believe this team will get to the NIT, which is quite a jump from where they were a year ago. To get to March Madness is going to take getting the bench to go deep. That is something for next season.

6 Likes

It’s not hard to see why they lost. There was a defensive breakdown that was very unusual for the current program–at least in the first half and by then the game was nearly out of hand. Stanford shot over 50%, and scored 51 in the first half. Who knows why. We’re dealing with kids, a changed starting lineup because injury, death in the family (I’m not aware of any)? Some Stanford hot hands? Stanford as always has talent. Who knows why our defense was unusually bad in the first half last night.

Whatever happened, it was out of character. But this often happens even to the best programs in basketball. Arizona lost at home to WSU.

I wouldn’t draw any long-term conclusions out of what happened last night. That would be irrational.

4 Likes

Stanford shot 70% on 3-pointers in the first half. That is hard to compete against.

4 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

I hope you treasure the red star I gave your post.

3 Likes