2022-2023 Recruiting

1 Like

Josh Newman:

Based on reading between the lines of some of what Smith said at his weekly press conference on Tuesday, plus the difficulty of where this season has gone, plus commonsense in this age of the transfer portal, I have a hard time believing everyone is coming back.

Here’s some food for thought: Lahat Thioune, David Jenkins Jr., Both Gach, Marco Anthony, Dusan Mahorcic, Riley Battin all have two years or less of eligibility remaining.

Thioune’s role has been minimal and Battin’s has recently been drastically reduced. Both hit the portal last spring following Krystkowiak’s firing, but changed their minds and opted to play for Smith.

Do any of these older guys have an appetite to continue being in school? In spitballing from strictly a basketball standpoint, Jenkins Jr., Gach, and Anthony have all transferred multiple times in their respective careers and all of them would have a hard time transferring again at the Division I level.

Bottom line: I expect Smith’s roster in his second season next winter to look significantly different than his first roster. Things can get better in a hurry with a makeover.

2 Likes

Utes have scouted 2023 Shey Eberwein, a 6’5" CG from Woodlands TX (Houston area).

1 Like

Utah has offered

1 Like

Utes sniffing around 6’3" 2024 SG David Katoa out of Layton. He’s also getting some interest for football.

1 Like

6’3 PG from CO only offer is WY

1 Like

Utes have been in contact with 2023 6’10" post Cyprian Hyde out of San Diego.

1 Like

Katoa is a Tongan last name, FWIW.

1 Like

Utes have been in touch with Christian Hammond, a 2023 6’3" PG out of Denver.

2 Likes
2 Likes

NOTE: Klintman is a 2022 kid, so this post should be in the 2021-22 thread.

FYI Klintman is a 6’9" Swedish SF. He’s very agile for his size, and considered one of the top Europeans in this class. He was heavily recruited by the Utes prior staff, but eventually committed to Maryland. He decommitted in January, and the Utes have jumped back in.

1 Like

Found this on twitter. Struggling to find info on him. Bentonville is in Arkansas. Not sure if he is class of 2022 or 23. Could even be an April Fool’s thing.

Looks like Saunders will be a Ute. Starter? Backup? Not sure Worster has panned out as a great choice for #1.

3 Likes

I just gotta say, if we really want this kid, and we can’t beat out those schools listed…then we’ve got a problem.

2 Likes

Utes appear to be in the final 4 for Isaih Moore, a grad transfer PF from So. Miss.

1 Like

More info about Smith closing the deal with Saunders: Mike Saunders Jr., Utah Utes basketball’s latest commit, is an important one. Here’s how Craig Smith got him. (msn.com)

Hoping on a jet to be at the recruit’s house on the last day possible - made an impression. Keep going, Craig!

3 Likes

Looks like we are out