Your utah centric transfer portal mega thread

need a lockdown corner the caliber of CPIII or JJ

5 Likes

Damuniā€™s name kept coming up over & over, like he was one of the few guys on that D who wanted to make playsā€¦ almost like it was a tryout for him, or something.

The additional bonus with Damuni is heā€™s a legacy BYU guy, so to the extent weā€™re recruiting against them as theyā€™re moving to the B12, this is double win.

The impact of last Fridayā€™s game canā€™t be overstated.

Donā€™t listen to me, though, the video of Diabate screaming out to USCā€™s sideline ā€œThis is why I came to Utah! This is why I came to Utah!ā€ - that says a 1000 words, shortens up the sales pitch quite a bit.

9 Likes

I count 3, CPIII, Diabate and Hubert. Regardless, that is a solid nucleus.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see a final count for first day entries into the portal, but I know it was over 1000. The previous one day record was 270.

1 Like

I seem to recall that the NCAA created 2x/yr for athletes to get into the portal. One was about now, the other is near end of the academic year. I may have misread what I saw, or remember incorrectly what I saw.

If what I saw was correct then what weā€™re seeing now with the portal was to be expected.

Nate Johnson :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes. There are two 30 day windows. The first being now, the second immediately after the close of spring practice. You do not need to pick a new school in the window, but in order to be recruited you must enter the portal during one of these two windows

2 Likes

Good info.

Our best experience with one of our own players entering the portal is Jaylen Dixon, of course, he who had another key TD against USC.

Dixon is one of the feel-good stories in the mosaic of Ute football, IMO. What a great kid, and how heā€™s stepped up with Vele dinged has been really impressive (with an assist from Bills).

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

He has the speed and Iā€™m not saying it will happen but I wouldnā€™t be completely shocked if it did.

Did you mean Nate Ritchey? Will he be back from his mission in time for next season?

I want Johnson to get a full shot at QB.

1 Like

We only saw one pass from Nate this year, to devastating effect. (He and Logan Kendall will probably be best friends for life.)

Donā€™t know what our coaches are seeing in Penn Stateā€™s D, but between Nate and Jaā€™Quinden, we have two guys that can throw the ball well. Put them in at the same time and space out the defense.

Might as well let everything loose in this next game.

3 Likes

You arenā€™t accusing our coaches of tampering are you? Our coaches would never improperly talk to a player who had not yet entered the transfer portal.

How can it be tampering if telepathy is involved? :wink:

(Damn witch trials opened the door for all kinds of non-verbal communications.)

5 Likes

Iā€™ll be tipping over tables in the coachā€™s office if he tries to move JJ back to QB.

No, noā€¦ I mean JJ can throw the ballā€¦ from wherever he lines up.

What game was it - maybe at Boulder? - where JJ lined up at RB, then he & Rising switched positions on a simple horizontal shift (pre snap), then JJ handed the ball off to Rising, who did a 2 foot shovel pass to Dixon (?) on a reverse. That play was designed to make upcoming DCs waste time trying to prep for the play and whatever could come off it.

There are numerous wrinkles off that play that defenses will have to think about. JJ keeping on a zone read, have the RPO off that keep, throw the ball to Rising, throw the ball to somebody else, take off on scamper himself, etc.

Add Nate to the mix, and there are really things that will make a DC lose sleep.

Depends on what kind of protection weā€™re getting up front, and other things, but you add those distractions in the backfield or lined up in the slot, then let Dixon or Vele or Kendall or Yassmin leak out and go long. Either weā€™re going to pick up some intermediate yardage or do serious downfield damage.

Really depends on whatā€™s going on up front, but crazy number of options that arenā€™t really in our base offense.

If Nate Johnson gets a clean opening, very few players in the country could catch him (without having an angle).

7 Likes

The older Fano brother. What a great week for Utah recruiting. Cleaning up :broom:

7 Likes

Itā€™s the last game of the year. Canā€™t hold anything back now.

2 Likes

This is an interesting take on the Transfer Portal and playing a Bowl game. Itā€™s a chance to show what your team needs and go get those players in the portal.

1 Like

Greatest portal announcement?

5 Likes