“You Gotta Love It Baby!” The Official Utah Jazz Thread

I’ve been a Jazz fan for most of my life despite growing up in Los Angeles. I always have kept tabs on them and most recently have been impressed by the current team’s resilience. Right now they’re the hottest team in the NBA and during their win streak they’ve notched wins over some of the best teams in the league. I’ll be at the Lakers game tomorrow night and I’m very excited. I don’t get the impression that there are a lot of active fans on the board but I thought I’d start a thread nonetheless. GO JAZZ!

I watch the Jazz a bit, especially when the nights are long and dark.

(The boss watches Lifetime, eg “honey, it’s cold - let’s watch Lifetime together!”. I’ll sometimes try to wreck the experience by yelling at the TV ala football, when the sound-track suggests trouble ahead, with a running commentary that can be summarized with a single syllable: “Duh!”. After the soundtrack lightens and the next movie is about to start: “And another thing! Screen the baby-sitters better!” This sets the tone for me to escape into my office. Invoking “tactical annoyance” is a skill every husband needs, IMO. Not hostility or anger or irritation… just some light to medium grade annoyance.)

The Jazz… at the beginning of this season, they were really hard to watch. Hardy obviously was seeing something different than everyone else when Sexton was driving all the way to the hoop and getting swatted, about 4 times a game.

But they’re playing really well now, have a lot of flexibility in the lineup. At this point in the season, the 3 pt shooting of Ochai, Fontecchio, Markennan, Sexton, JC is just uncanny. Right after you’ve watched college hoops or the Lady Utes, it’s kind of shocking to see how good the NBA guys are. It’s a completely different game.

My hunch is when the playoffs start, the lack of a superstar might be a problem when the Jazz seriously need points, but Hardy-ball is fun to watch, right now.

1 Like

It’s hard to follow them casually here on the East Coast, the time difference is just too much to watch any games. I do read about them once in awhile. I loved following them when we lived in Utah. I did get rather irritated with them, and the NBA as a whole, about the time Deron Williams helped push Jerry Sloan out the door.

They seem decent now. I noticed that Danny Ainge pretty much blew up the team for draft picks. Glad to see them playing well.

2 Likes

Went to the Jazz/Lakers game tonight with one of my friends. Markkanen is the real deal. He pretty much shut down Anthony Davis and notched 29 points. This Jazz team looks very balanced with quite a few good players. We’re now over .500 and i hope we can keep it up and sneak into the playoffs. Danny Ainge is a genius.

2 Likes

Does any other Ute fan have some nagging issues rooting for Markkanen after his recruiting decisions with the U of Pay? Please correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t he a strong lean to Utah thanks to Hanno’s efforts but he switched to the Wildcats with speculation that it included Sean Miller’s “special” benefits before NIL was legal?

1 Like

I will never utter those words in my lifetime….I used to work for the Jazz in the 1990’s so I see the Jazz differently than most. They may be good enough to make the playoffs but they’re still perpetually relegated to the middle of the bell curve. They’ve refused to tank enough seasons to assemble the truly necessary pieces for a championship run through high draft picks and the SLC market won’t be a destination for top caliber free agents. Ainge could assemble those pieces in Boston, not Utah.

3 Likes

We shall see.

1 Like

Not really. Lauri is the best player on my favorite NBA team and he’s helping them win. That’s all I really care about. As for your Danny Ainge comment, I’m ok with him rebuilding the Jazz and he has a winning track record. Whatever happened 40 years ago happened 40 years ago.

I can’t blame a player for taking the money. Yes, it was against the rules in the NCAA but it was happening a lot more than most wanted to admit. If this was the case with Markanen, it’s disappointing but not surprising.

It’s great to see the Jazz making a better run than the league pundits expect. Competitive play makes it worth watching. I hope they keep up the effort.

As someone who grew up listening to Chick Hearn and watching Showtime, this Laker team is a disappointment. They are the embodiment of overpayment and underperformance. Hate to say a lot of it is because they assembled an aging roster thinking they could coax out another run. It isn’t working. Maybe they get hot and turn it around, but it’s unlikely. Honestly I hope they give LeBron a hug and sent him and the others off to retirement.

To their credit, Utah knew they needed a rebuild and did it. To their credit they are doing it and are still competing. You can’t say that about the Spurs.

2 Likes

Jimmy B an assistant with the Pacers.

NBA players don’t respond to the rah-rah approach, so he must know Xs and Os.

I think Gordon Monson should write a column on the topic.

4 Likes

Jazz up by 21 right now. I don’t know what they did, but this team is firing on all cylinders.

3 Likes
3 Likes

“Ball not going in hoop.” :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

“Whipped cream on a turd still tastes like s***”. Still one of my favorite lines ever.

4 Likes

There at the end, Keyonte George was channeling his inner Microwave.

1 Like

Appropriate soundtrack, as well. I hadn’t heard most of those clips. He was a bigger defus than I remember…which ain’t good.

2 Likes

He’s the FUTURE.

1 Like

Most fun I’ve had watching the Jazz in a while and very pleased they are available on Dish network this season.

2 Likes

If you have the jazz+ app you can watch old games.

Jazz are looking to convey their pick. This years draft is cheeks.

2 Likes