Who here has made the switch to Google Fiber?

I’ve had Google Fiber with a phone option for about a year and a half. Total bill is $85/mo after taxes.Love it. We don’t have any consistent issues, the speed (1 GB) is sufficient for anything we do, and it’s got to be 40% cheaper than what we were paying CenturyLink for 20x slower speed.

We own a rental property where the tenants there share a GF account and they love it. It’s actually a good selling point whenever we have to turn over an apartment.

I am a hopeless insomniac, and listen to streaming music, or podcasts to go to sleep or go back to sleep when I wake up a night.

Xfinity has regular, frequent scheduled outages for what they claim to be service intervals, which typically occur just after midnight and often last until 4 or 5 AM. IT was not uncommon to have two or three such outages a week. While these sorts of outages at these hours are barely noticed by most people, they wreaked havoc with my attempts at sleep. (It begs the question: what sort of system requires this amount of maintenance downtime?)

They were the majority of the outages I remember, but there was typically one or so a month during daytime hours as well.

I have not experienced a single outage or had to reboot equipment even once in about 2 weeks less than a year with google fiber.

1 Like

When Google came along our street it was amazing how Xfinity got faster and became incredibly stable. The price is about the same when we priced out all of the stuff we currently get so we haven’t switched. Once I no longer need the PAC 12 network we’ll price things out again.

2 Likes

This has been my experience. GF came into our neighborhood years ago. Almost switched several times. But by the time you pay for You tube tv, there isnt any price diffrerence. We have never switched from Xfinity becasue we like the Pac 12 network and the streaming features. Several people in our nieghborhood who switched said dont bother.

3 Likes

Google Fiber (or the Company to be named later after antitrust) is running fiber optic cable in front of my house tomorrow. They just did all the ground prep to get it installed today.

I went and ran the numbers and what I get from Comcast (internet, TV, and 4 mobile phone lines) is cheaper than breaking apart my services to get Google Fiber.

Maybe in a couple of years things will change, but for now…

1 Like

I’m now going on three years since they ran fiber optic cable in my neighborhood (literally right in front of my house), and service is still not showing as available in my area.

1 Like

They started advertising the availability two weeks ago.

We got Google Fiber and its been mostly great. For some reason, even the cable service seems to be in a “hole” in our area, but we ditched cable almost 2 years ago and pay less with better bandwidth.
What I don’t understand is why we can’t get local news options.
Anyway, local news isn’t really “local” anymore.

1 Like

Sadly in my large 240 apt bldg, we dont have the option to change. Century Link wired/fibered in; no allowance for Google to be an alternative.

Google fiber as an experience is simply better than Comcast. It’s been a more price stable business to work with. I haven’t watched it go up and up and up. My speed is excellent and they aren’t annually playing games to make me add phones or home security etc . Comcast treats its customers like sheep to fleece. Google doesn’t.

As for speed, for most of the time I’ve had it google had more for less. But Comcast now advertises GB so maybe they’ve caught up. My google is $70 for stable 1GB. And no games. What’s Comcast today for that?

1 Like