When Whit retires, do you prefer . .

I think the original intent of the thread was when he retires and it devolved into what to do if this was his last year. He has a sweet gig lined up post coaching here at Utah, so he’d be retiring to that (I guess unless he wanted to jump back in to coaching but he’s said he doesn’t want to coach while he’s too old).

I’m not seeing anyone suggest he be fired. That’s not the topic at all.

The topic started with retire but I was getting the fire vibe as the thread progressed.

1 Like

Sorry. I was pretty salty about the losing streak to start the season. Even then, my point is that if he loses enough games in one season he’s not invulnerable. He’s probably good enough to never do that until he loses his passion.

2 Likes

We all do that. I posted that this team sucks on another thread. I did it out of frustration during the SDSU game. What I should have said was that this team needs to mature. I think we have some exceptional athletes who just need some salt. And we have a great staff.

3 Likes

Am I alone in thinking that Sharif Shaw would be a masterful Head Coach?

4 Likes

I certainly felt that way when I saw his speech at the funeral. In fact I showed my kids the speech because I thought it was so well done and such a good message.

My kids then asked what I thought about his wife soon going to prison and under federal indictment. I didn’t know about that - you have to wonder how that may affect him and his career choices.

1 Like

Let’s see it at a G5 school first. He’s just a position coach and ST coordinator, so still some more development to do on the football side.

3 Likes

Whitt is the 16th highest paid coach in the country, $5.2mm compensation, which seems about right (MAYBE a little high based on final rankings over the past 4 years).

For those in this thread talking about firing him, he currently has an $18mm buyout, so… no

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

4 Likes

He certainly is charismatic and an excellent motivational speaker…but Nick Saban has proven that those are not prerequisites to being a successful head coach.

6 Likes

Getting several of the best players in the country doesn’t hurt.

5 Likes

Literally not one person said fire him. Nobody.

1 Like

Figuratively as well

3 Likes

I say fire him. There, now someone said it just because you are so sensitive about it. Although I don’t think it or want it.

No one came out and said we should, but there was definitely innuendo alluding to it or that it could happen. Easy to re-read the thread and see it. Or talk of what if we hired Urban (because at the time it seemed obvious he would be available soon, like after this season, which would mean an assumption Whit retires this year or would have to be let go).

To be clear, my opinion is Whit stays on his terms even if we have a couple losing seasons. I also trust he will retire when it’s right for him and the program.

2 Likes

Blockquote

Since we are making up conversations and imaginary people - I hate all you morons who are maintaining the earth is flat. It’s round - I’ll provide a link later

3 Likes

It’s not flat, and Shatner proved it yesterday. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re hereby fired from your position as Board Morale Officer.

5 Likes

I forgot about the legal issues surrounding his wife. Good point.

LOL, fair. Point being moving on from Whitt before his contract ends is going to cost the U a TON of money.

2 Likes

Some things to consider…

If you have been coaching at the same University so long that you’re retirement will have a pension component, you might be Kyle Whittingham.

If you have been coaching at the same University so long that you named and fed the feral cats that lived under the student section bleachers of the old stadium, you might be Kyle Whittingham.

If you have been coaching at the same University so long that you have seen the stadium have major overhauls not one but twice, you might be Kyle Whittingham.

If you have been coaching at the same University so long that you had to coach on AstroTurf, Natural Grass, and SportTurf, all in the same stadium, you might be Kyle Whittingham.

If you have been coaching at the same University so long that your morning bike ride to work in the summer is a piece of campus lore, you might be Kyle Whittingham.

If you have been coaching at the same University so long that you have seen your team change Conferences twice, you might be Kyle Whittingham.

If you have been coaching at the same University so long that when you leave, you will hold every record in the books for coaching at the school and two (or more) granddaddy bowl trophies, then you ARE Kyle Whittingham.

9 Likes