When Whit retires, do you prefer . .

I am not suggesting that Whit will retire or should retire at any particular time, but the day will come and the question is, what do you prefer?

1. Scalley
  2. Another coach currently on the staff
  3. An offensive minded coach with success as a HC at G5
  4. An offensive minded coach with success as OC at top flight P5

Personally, I think looking outside the program can often bring new energy and new ideas and I am not opposed to 3 or 4 if you can find the right guy. It will in large part depend on how the program looks at the time of his retirement. It is more challenging to look outside if things are rolling and easier to do so if things are are not.

I would hire an offensive coach who can atttract qb’s and receivers and plays a more dynamic offense. It seems a lot easier to me for an offensive hc to hire a good dc than the other way around. (as the experience of Urban and KW attests). Definitely would look outside the program.

2 Likes

I think 1, 3 or 4.

My reservations about Scalley are that we’ll see a continuation of Kyleball. That has been a winning formula, but do we need it forever?

OTOH, Scalley “gets” the state of Utah and that matters. Also, he probably wouldn’t use the job as a stepping stone, which is nice.

As for 3 or 4, it would be nice to see if, as the state, Salt Lake and the U. grow, Utah Athletics–led by football and basketball–can move to yet another level. Just look at the progress since 2000. Go back to 1980 and we’re talking about progress in 2021 that was beyond anyone’s wildest dreams at that time.

2 Likes

1 or 5 (defense minded outside, preferably P5 HC or DC, G5 HC if special). I would caution about changing what has worked for Utah - defense, TOP, ST, Run with a dual threat qb. I don’t know if we can totally change a system or all the athletes to be West Coast or Run and Shoot and it would take a few tears to transition. See Nebraska. They had an identity, went to Callahan to bring in a more exciting offense, and it’s been decades in the doldrums.

4 Likes

[quote=“UTEopia, post:1, topic:6100”]

I am not suggesting that Whit will retire or should retire at any particular time, but the day will come and the question is, what do you prefer?

1. Scalley
  2. Another coach currently on the staff
  3. An offensive minded coach with success as a HC at G5
  4. An offensive minded coach with success as OC at top flight P5

Personally, I think looking outside the program can often bring new energy and new ideas and I am not opposed to 3 or 4 if you can find the right guy. It will in large part depend on how the program looks at the time of his retirement. It is more challenging to look outside if things are rolling and easier to do so if things are are not.

[/qu

How about Jamey Chadwell Coastal Carolina only makes $850,000. Offensive minded coach.

1 Like

7 Likes

Definitely not Morgan. That baggage can’t be rewarded.

I would go with 3.

1 Like

He can only be a DC the rest of his career? No redemption allowed? Then why did they keep him at all if he should just be canceled? I guess his progress should be stopped indefinitely :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Let someone else fight that cause. He’s lucky he’s still our DC IMO

2 Likes

I think Jay Hill at Weber State deserves a look. I will second Bamafan’s Brian Johnson nod.

6 Likes

I like Kyle’s tree. With the surprising exception of Gary Andersen Kyle has spawned success. That said, new blood will be needed. Caveat, the “new blood” will need to understand the nuances of Utah.

1 Like

Jim Fassel?

Urban Meyer

Dude…Fassel died earlier this year….

1 Like

Clearly I wasn’t hoping for actual Jim Fassel. Just using as an example of why an offensive-minded only head coach might not be a solution.

2 Likes

I think the Utah program has advanced to the point that it can attract enough quality to have both a good defense and a good offense. I’m not sure that was necessarily true during Fassel’s tenure.

Good? I’m not sure we played any defense during those years.

Defense in the 1980’s…:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

It was a unicorn…:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Hard “NO” to Scalley for me. Loved him as a player, but the Defense has taken a step back under him as DC. He’s also unproven as a HC.

Would take successful G5 HC or even someone like Jay Hill (my personal choice) over a P5 coordinator. Don’t want someone on staff now. Need a fresh start offensively, but would love to see certain defensive staff kept for continuity there.

1 Like