What was the moment you knew you had found your life partner?

Kind of an unconventional thread, but I thought it might be kind of fun/interesting. I’m a divorcee and am currently dating, which certainly can be frustrating but I’m holding out hope. I’m very curious about your own experiences with your most significant romance and what made things “click” for you. Hopefully this thread doesn’t flop, but I will understand if it does. Shoot!

Still TBD. Haha

2 Likes

When she said she liked me.

5 Likes

When we went to the MWC tournament in LV and I almost got in a yelling match with a UNLV fan chanting ‘Rebels, Rebels’ over and over and over and my then girlfriend grabbed me by the back of my pants and told me to sit down.

But really, it wasn’t a moment, it was a process - we just kept enjoying being together and planning our lives and it took continued work and a choice to be together and weather life’s challenges together. She probably thought the moment she realized she almost made a mistake was when we were early married and didn’t know how much ESPN I watched. That’s what you get when the apartment provided free cable! :wink:

3 Likes

There was one evening where we were talking about the future. I don’t remember the trigger for the discussion, just that we had it. I do remember asking her, “so, does this mean we’re getting married?” We laughed, but she did say yes. We obviously got married, that question was almost 27 years ago. Come mid September we will have been married 27 years.

All that said. I don’t recommend how we did it. We didn’t date for a real long time. I think we got married about 11 months after we met, and 6 or 7 months after my question. We did know that we enjoyed each other’s company. I think that we thought of each other as best friends then. We most certainly do now.

Somehow we’ve made it all work. There have been a couple close calls, but here we are today.

6 Likes

I met my future wife, on the first day of seventh grade, at Bryant Junior High, in (OMG) 1968.

The teacher, Mrs. Peterson, was calling the roll, and called the name, Sydney Valentine. A girl behind me answered here. It was such a cute name, that I was curious, so after a moment, I tuned around and found that she was as cute as her name.

We became friends, were sort of serious about each other on and off for many years and although we both dated others, and I moved away for part of my high school years, I never quit thinking about her.

We started dating again at the age of 20, and after a few months while having dinner at a restaurant, our conversation turned to the immediate future as she was about to change jobs. I said, perhaps we should get married, without having really planned anything, and she said yes, perhaps we should. It was not a romantic moment, just a practical one, but there’s been plenty of romance since.

I would not say that what I experienced on that day in seventh grade, was love at first sight, but I’ve never stopped thinking of her and never cared for anyone else nearly as much.

8 Likes

Hanging out in college one night and she quoted from the movie “Three Amigos,” one of my favorites, though I don’t think she knew that at the time. A movie that is older than both of us, but definitely a classic. Admittedly, it is silly and trivial, but that was the moment that confirmed to me that she is the one. We’ve been happily married for over ten years now.

3 Likes

My wife and I met in a class at the U in early 1993, so I have the U to thank for both my degree and spouse. We discovered we had a lot of mutual interests during that quarter (yes, we were still in the quarter system back then), and subsequently took several more classes together. We were resonating pretty much from the first couple of dates. We still have the same spark, 30 years later, which is nice.

1 Like

Our families have known each other forever. Her Uncle Ken and my dad were best friends since 2nd grade. I actually thought Ken was my actual uncle until I was in my teens, our parents were that close. Her mom and dad went to Highland HS with my parents. I hung out with her cousins every single weekend and holiday my entire childhood. Yet somehow, she and I never crossed paths.

At her cousin’s missionary farewell, I saw this stunningly gorgeous woman sitting by the fireplace. I convinced my brother to go sit near her so I could “casually” come over and join him and introduce myself. In the first 30 minutes, she had mentioned that she a) loves Monty Python, b) was a member of Crimson Line at the U, and c) needed to find a ride to an event the following day. I jokingly mentioned that I’d be happy to give her a ride, as long as she would come over and watch “Holy Grail” with me. Never really thought that line would work but somehow it did. I suppose you could say it really was love at first sight.

That was 28 years ago, and we’ll be celebrating our 26th anniversary in June. Oh, and Uncle Ken (who was now actually my uncle!) officiated our wedding.

As we were going through old family pictures years later, we found out that we did actually meet before. Her mom found an old Polaroid from a gathering in 1980 of me pinching her bum. We were 5 years old and 2 years old, respectively.

I suppose that means it was destiny. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

When she called and asked me out. It was to a Ute football game. My first date with my wife was sitting in the student section at the old Rice Stadium.

A few rows ahead of us some guy was wearing a crude, but very funny t-shirt. I noticed it but didn’t say anything to her for fear of offending her. A few minutes later she laughed and pointed it out to me, that’s when I knew we had the same humor.

We also have the same birthday.

She’s an extrovert while I’m an introvert but somehow it’s a good fit.

We just clicked from the beginning.

4 Likes

We were lined up by friends on New Years day 1978, few days after I returned from my LDS mission to Spain. Although I headed off to BYU (could only stand a semester - the place had more rules than my mission) and she was at the U, we managed to see each other quite a bit over the next 2 or 3 months. We went skiing most friday afternoons. I knew she was right for me after one of our first movie dates when she said she was taking me to see Animal House to normalize me. We were married on August 14, 1979. It was fortunate that we married before going through a Utah football or basketball season because she did not know that she would be going to every game. She was there, rain, snow or shine, win or lose, 8 months pregnant or with a toddler.
We have been going strong ever since. I have learned to love some things that she loves, like the theatre and camping and she has learned to love some things that I love, Ute sports, boating and water skiing. We have had our challenges as a couple and as a family. The closest I came to getting the boot she was literally 8 months pregnant and had gone somewhere with her mom. A friend called and wanted to know if I would leave in a few minutes and go watch the Utes play the Aggies in Logan. This pre-dated cell phones by a long time. I left her a note. She was not happy when I came in the door after midnight.

6 Likes

When he agreed to have our wedding song be from a melo-death band. Sure it was a ballad from them with no death growls or blast beats, but still…

4 Likes

Wait…what band/song?

lol. I knew you’d respond. We actuality had a couple that I chose. “You are the One” by Sentenced and “Endlessly” by Amaranthe which isn’t obvious strictly melo-death but double bass, growls, etc make it scarier to most people in the world compared to say, Mr Big’s “To Be With You”. lol

2 Likes

Ooooh, excellent choices.

1 Like

I was living at home in Orem for the summer of '83 after contracting Mono up at the U. Our first date was a blind date on some horrible scavenger hunt thing around BYU campus created by a couple friends. My date and I ended up being relegated to the backward-facing third row seat in a station wagon. We talked Dungeons & Dragons the whole time and she ended up playing in our weekly game that I DMed. That was all 40 years ago now.

8 Likes

Nice, it’s always good to find a someone that has similar interests.

1 Like

I started hearing the voices about 15 years ago.

1 Like

Do they agree with you?

1 Like

Hardly ever, but that intellectual hockey match is what makes our relationship work.