What I’m watching

Tick Tick Boom is very solid. I get liking Hamilton more. I was raised more in a Latino community so maybe it’s why I like it more.

Haven’t watched it obviously but will be watching:

1 Like

I got bored and decided to binge this (again) to get ready for the next season.

Freaks and Geeks is on Amazon Prime. Great show for kids that grew up in the 80’s.

2 Likes

The new season dropped recently. What can I say, I am a sucker for a feel good story…or a season’s worth. This season was shot in New Orleans.

1 Like

Just finished binging this with my wife. It’s sappy, it’s schmaltzy, it jumps the shark a couple of times.

Since the wife liked it…

They really made these so good. The second one is as good as the first. solid 9.5/10

3 Likes

Saw it yesterday. Visually spectacular - art. Story was more complex with the multi-verse than usual linear hero/villain storylines. Really good.

1 Like

It was only a matter of time:

Amazon Plans Ad Tier for Prime Video Streaming Service

Amazon AMZN -3.78%decrease; red down pointing triangle is planning to launch an advertising-supported tier of its Prime Video streaming service as it looks to further build its ad business and generate more revenue from entertainment, according to people familiar with the situation.

The discussions, which the people said are in the early stages and have been going on over the past several weeks, come in the wake of cost-cutting reviews across the company’s businesses, resulting in tens of thousands of layoffs.

Advertising has been an area of continued growth for Amazon despite macroeconomic challenges. The company’s ad revenue was $9.5 billion in the first quarter, up 21% year over year. The company is the third-biggest player in terms of digital ad revenue in the U.S. after Google and Meta, according to Insider Intelligence.

Advertisers say they are eager to have Amazon offer an ad tier for Prime Video service, which would follow similar moves by other streaming platforms including Netflix and Disney. Specifically, ad buyers say they want more access to premium movies and programs that have remained largely ad free, content that often garners more buzz.

Worlds Luckiest Man is ESPNs documentary on Bill Walton. I know he drives some people nuts but he makes me smile so I’ve enjoyed the episodes.

2 Likes

Friday was the 30th Anniversary of the release of Jurassic Park.

Watching on Peacock.

2 Likes

Sean Penn talking about a guy he grew up with who was the inspiration for Jeff Spicoli:

Penn is out there himself, but he’s got a nice delivery. Pretty funny.

6 Likes

He seems like an original and decent dude

2 Likes

My son, who was born in ‘94, and his friends were all obsessed with this film when they were (way too) young. I don’t recall what year or their age, but they were TOO young, perhaps 7, 6, 5, 4?

I gave in and rented the film and watched it with him at home, but only after giving him a lecture about how children need wait to “grow into” certain experiences, even when they “think” they’re ready.

The film scared him more than I realized at the time, and there were MANY occasions in the next several years where a warning from me about something being potentially inappropriate, was met with a question or a resolve about perhaps waiting until he “grew into” it.

I’m making a mental note to ask him about his recollection of the film and that phrase.

4 Likes

I just finished Sherwood on Britbox. Adapted from real life events related to striking mine workers, “scabs”, and The Troubles that people won’t let go of issues over 30 years old. It is reallly good. Sherwood (TV Series 2022– ) - IMDb

1 Like

Finally bingeing the Amazon “not Tolkien-Tolkien” prequel…The Rings of Power.

Not a bad set up. Sort of mirrors the actual stories pretty well.

1 Like

this is one was really good

I hadn’t watched Ted Lasso because I refused to subscribe to yet another streaming service. I bought a new iPad recently, and it came with 3 months of Apple TV for free, so I binged it over the last couple weeks.

Outside of a few very head-scratching decisions in Season 3, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Watching that final episode tonight just about wrecked me. My room got awfully dusty, for some weird reason.

2 Likes

Try Shrinking. It’s really funny.

Just finished watching the first 2 episodes of Jack Ryan S4.