What do you love about Utefans?

So what do you love about the board? Honest question.

All of the people I have gotten to meet and share a fandom camaraderie with. Some here I didn’t know at all before I started lurking and posting. After a decade of tailgates, podcasts, and communication here on the board, the short answer is it kept me sane in my insane work world.

2 Likes

This is a good place to find out stuff like this.

1 Like

I like, in no particular order:

The Music thread, it’s introduced me to new or reminded me of old favorites

That there isn’t as much irrational negativity, especially after losses, as other fan forums like Twitter and Facebook.

The honest and intelligent, sometimes funny discussions on topics like COVID,

Hearing other Ute fans perspectives and opinions on Ute sports topics, without it disagreements devolving into cage matches.

Things would change:

Getting some more trusted voices here from the past. Seniority’s, ColoUte and Ublender, DwightschrUTE, others. Maybe real sports seasons will bring them in. I hope they can see the level of discourse here has been raised from the old site.

That we are limited to pejoratives from Princess Bride, and I can’t say things like ******, ****wad, ****munch, ***licker. ****head, or anal rot (oh, I guess that last one is ok)

3 Likes

Pros:

Many great contributors and personal insight/takes on all things Utah sports.

Streaming links for cable cutters…

Keeps me in touch with Utah sports since I live out of state

Some great insight and occasional insider knowledge

No more political arguing!

Cons:
non really, chat can occasionally be glitchy especially on mobile.

Changes:
HUGE improvements over what it was. Plus it works. Only minor suggestion would be categories for sports - football/basketball/recruiting, and a general discussion section. I know this has been debated and the current format is likely popular. Just a thought for organization/search.

2 Likes

this is where I get all of my Utah alfalfa crop news

3 Likes

It’s definitely good to stay in the loop.

For me it’s a different perspective. Hearing the same old crap from my region is BOOOORING!

It’s the only place for crop news since farmersonly.com kicked us off.

2 Likes

Senoritis, Mr Crimson and Hod Sanders sure brought the humor. I still think of Hod’s “cheap, whiny bastards” post when zoobs are mentioned.

2 Likes

Yes he was.

We need Sfork back

3 Likes

I think there are a lot of posters who we could try and bring back. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I love getting the monthly checks of $5 per post.

But seriously, what I love most is bashing TDS. I came here for that, but stayed for the other stuff.

Where’s my thumbs down option?

2 Likes

I met quite a few friends in person after my divorce and return to SLC. It was not quite, but almost a lifesaver.

4 Likes

It was those people who gave you an appreciation for accounting jokes.

3 Likes

The next time I hear a good accounting joke will be the first.

4 Likes

I’m here for the co-ed hippos.

I got started in the late 90s as a bored football fan in a computer lab. I remember one poster had some kind of landscaping major and he gave us a weekly play-by-play of the artificial turf of RES. That kind of inside info was fun.

I’ve only barely dabbled in the social aspect of the board mainly because I’m too cheap to pay for tickets.

I lost interest in sports some years ago and definitely had no interest in 2020, but the covid thread was a way for me to stay sane when I was only seeing my wife and dogs for months. It helps to get a local flavor of news like that. I didn’t need politics, I was getting enough mental health strain doomscrolling news sites, so this fit the bill.

I also have a decades-old account on JazzFanz.com and had a great time there in the early 2000s but that site feels like a flaming dumpster right now. In contrast, this site improved with age (and new ownership).

5 Likes

Definition of an actuary: A CPA who lacks sufficient personality to be an accountant.

1 Like