West Virginia leading 30-0 just after halftime

I don’t think either team is better by eye test. Iowa State has been wildly inconsistent and you never know what Cyclone team you are going to get each week. Then you put them traveling to Provo for a 9:15pm kickoff (I know it’s 8:15 local but I am going off their internal clocks). BYU is also undefeated at home this season. So, it’s pretty much a wild guess who will win.

I see. Thank you.

Ha. Do you disagree? Honestly, I have not paid one minute of attention to the coogs. I have the Cyclones.

1 Like

I want byu-provo to lose out so they won’t be bowl eligible. Two reasons.

Additional practice time is a big deal. That is one of the reasons why they owned us in the 80’s. Now that we have to play them every damn year (again), I want every advantage over them.

Secondly, you know that there will be a push by someone to have Utah face byu-provo in a bowl game. That is a huge no win for us.

7 Likes

CutPaste_2023-11-05_08-03-42-342

New helmet revealed for Iowa St. game

3 Likes

I put my faith in Kenneth Massey’s brainchild.

3 Likes

Some LDS members believe that they have a literal Israelite ancestry.

3 Likes

And the zoobs also say, “if the 60 teams above us lose out the season, we’re in the CFP.”

2 Likes

#BYJew?

Why would a good Jewish kid go to BYU-Provo? Where is he going to get a good matzoh ball soup there? Is there even a synagogue in Provo? What a meshuganer.

4 Likes

They have the best grape juice for Shabbat.

3 Likes

BYJew# just sounds so bad. I realize he’s got to be going along with it but it still doesn’t sound good.

1 Like

The fact that I hate BYU is more than enough for me. Everything else is bonus points.

4 Likes

It’s tacky and will definitely offend some people. Ironically, the LDS faith is very sympathetic to Judaism. BYU won’t make friends with the Judaic world by letting him use this moniker, IMO.

4 Likes

Goes to show the things that are wrong in Provo run wide and deep.

3 Likes

As the token Jew on Utefans, I don’t know what I think of this.

2 Likes

I believe that the Mormons built the first synagogue in Salt Lake City for the six Jews that were in the Salt Lake area during the late 1800s.

The fourth governor of Utah, Simon Bamberger, was Jewish. I knew his great-grandson at the U. Great guy.

Simon Bamberger (February 27, 1845 – October 6, 1926) was the fourth governor of Utah (1917–1921) after it achieved statehood from territorial status in 1896. Bamberger retains the distinction of being the first non-Mormon, the first Democrat, as well as the first, and to date only, Jewish Governor of Utah. He was also the third Jew ever elected governor of any state, after Washington Bartlett of California and Moses Alexander of Idaho.

2 Likes

There are still a few relics in Davis County of the Bamberger Railroad, a short north & south railway that connected Davis County into Salt Lake, back when railroads were the primary technology breakthrough that helped the West develop.

If there’s anything I’ve learned in interacting with colleagues and family who happen to be Jewish, there’s an amazing diversity of thought and tradition under the larger umbrella. And remarkable histories.

@orangemarlin - glad you’re a Ute!

4 Likes

If true, that’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Brigham Young was involved, but he did not build the synagogue. Rather he gave land for the synagogue to be built on

https://www.jmaw.org/synagogues-salt-lake-city/

3 Likes