We lost one of our own last night

I am very sad and sorry to report the passing of Pangloss. He was a great Ute and a great person. He was perhaps the smartest person I ever met. I know the collective IQ of this forum is lower now. If you are the type to pray, his family would appreciate it if you said one for him.

May they have peace.

7 Likes

Very sad to hear this. He was a thoughtful and intelligent poster. One of my favorites.

Has an obituary been published yet?

Peace and love to his family.

8 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. As a newer member, but long time lurker, I know Pangloss to be much loved and respected.
Peace and gentle thoughts to family and friends.

5 Likes

Not that I know of. His son called me this morning with the sad news.

4 Likes

Man, that sucks. I didn’t know him personally, but always enjoyed his contributions to the board.

5 Likes

I’ll keep my eye on the tribune the next few days for his obituary. I enjoyed the op-eds he had published over the years.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

3 Likes

That’s very sad news. I always enjoyed his thoughtful and thought provoking contributions. RIP

5 Likes

Pretty much expected. He has been suffering from ALS for several years.

Really going to miss him.

8 Likes

Very sorry to hear about Pangloss. I didn’t know him personally either, but I did enjoy his posts.

Please, if someone notices the obituary, would you post here?

4 Likes

So sorry to hear. I loved interacting with him here. He was one of the earliest members of this board. We will miss him.

4 Likes

Pangloss added sharp candor and wit to UFN. He will be profoundly missed. My thoughts are with those who knew him best. Always a Ute!

8 Likes

Like you, I think that he was one of the smartest, best-read, and damn funniest people I’ve ever known. Early in the year when it really was just a matter of time we were planning on going to see him, but C-19 put a lid on that. He once was telling me how he had pretty much moved exclusively to vodka and water for drinks, bragging he had never been hungover from it. I’m going to have one or two in his honor tonight, and I’d encourage others so inclined to do the same. He’d smile about it.

10 Likes

So sorry to hear. Super shame. Family on our prayers, while those do little to take away the sting of loss. Just got home a day early from our camping trip. This thread is my first to read.

2 Likes

Yes, I think he would.

3 Likes

Same here. I still regret that, even though there was nothing I could do about it. I am glad that we got to do the periodic cookouts (put on by his kids). Those were nice.

I had to stop and think today how long I had known him…it was damn near 40 years…

5 Likes

He would absolutely appreciate that. Perfect.

6 Likes

He’d laugh his ass off on that one.

6 Likes

This is extremely sad news. I remember vividly the first time I met him. He came strolling up to the Pirate Ship wearing the bucket hat he wore for years. He quipped something funny that I don’t recall and then we exchanged introductions. I had read his posts for a while prior of course and it was great to finally meet him in person. He possessed a great intellect and I thoroughly enjoyed our many conversations over the years. I will miss him greatly. I am incredibly sad today to hear this.

9 Likes

ugh what horrible news. Pangloss was one of my favorite posters. IIRC he just retired a couple years ago. Way too young.

5 Likes