We lost one of our own last night

This really hurts.

He was one of our best & brightest - which is saying a lot because this board represents the U very well.

6 Likes

Seriously 2020?

I knew Pangloss entirely through the board before my arrival on the tailgate scene in 2004 - he was always hospitable there, and one of the most thoughtful and intelligent people Iā€™ve had the honor to meet. This board and the greater world are a lesser place without him.

6 Likes

Respect to Pangloss and compassion toward his family. I liked him. He told me about how he was a janitor at the U the same time as Bundy.

1 Like

That is too bad. I didnā€™t often agree with him, but it was fun to hear his perspectives, which I found thoughtful and reasoned.

I responded to this bad news yesterday, and mentioned that I didnā€™t know him personally. Now I wonderā€¦ I was a janitor at the U while I was in high, school same time as Bundyā€¦

Salt Lake, and particularly the UofU in those days, is/was a small community, perhaps I did meet him.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear this. I loved his posts and interacting with him on the old board. I obviously didnā€™t know him in person, but Iā€™m not the slightest bit surprised to hear you say he was one of the smartest people youā€™ve ever known. Sincere condolences to his family.

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear this. He was a fantastic person who will be sorely missed. I hope for peace for his family and loved ones.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear of his passing. Over all of these years I have never had the opportunity to meet any of you and only know everyone through their user name and postings. I remember him as one of the earlier ones from when I first joined.

2 Likes

Here is a copy of his obit. I couldnā€™t get the link to work.

Scott passed away peacefully in his sleep on August 11 after a valiant three-and-a-half-year struggle with ALS. He was born in Ogden, Utah in 1952, graduated from Bountiful High and attend the University of Utah where he earned three degrees-a BA in Arabic, a Masters in Middle East Studies, and an MBA. He started his 20-year career at Hercules in 1980 where he met Rhonda. They were married for 37 years. Scott left Hercules/ATK in 2000 to work for Executive Business Services until his retirement in 2016.

Scott loved fishing and hunting. One of his proudest days was when he bought his first boat. He loved to read, make homemade wine, and he was an accomplished potter. He was an avid golfer and an even more avid U of U sports fan. He was a charter member of the Crimson Club.

Scott is preceded in death by his parents, Emmett, and Bonnie. He is survived by his wife, Rhonda, his sons Nicholas and Maxwell, his sisters Sidney Clayton and Kathy (Paul) Zenisek and his brother Dennis (Summer) Clayton.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a celebration of Scottā€™s life will be held at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, Scott would want friends and family to make a donation to the ALS Association or the Huntsman Cancer Institute and vote Biden/Harris.

11 Likes

Some of the memories of Scott that I will cherish were our numerous deep conversations. He was always so easy to talk to and I enjoyed discussing the Middle East or military aircraft or fishing, etc. with him. Often was the time that we would be in the midst of a nice conversation and happen to glance at the time and realize that we had been talking for over an hour or much more. He had many funny anecdotes, great stories, and adventures to talk about. On one of the last times I saw him he quipped that the wheel chair van he arrived in was the most expensive car he had ever purchased. I will miss him greatly.

2 Likes

I remember being jealous because he got to see Ella Fitzgerald in concert. In Tunisia IIRC.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

OH MY! R.I.P. Scott. He will be missed. :sleepy:

Iā€™ll follow the instructions in his obit.

4 Likes

Here, I got it to work this time.

10 Likes