Utes vs. Washington thread

https://images.app.goo.gl/1q1LZAQMp8TwKupf9

7 Likes

I was at the game. Sorry about reporting in so late, but I was waiting for the refs to make a decision on who last touched the ball when it went out of bounds.

11 Likes

Did they ever decide anything, or was the game just canceled?

7 Likes

It was crazy. The ref who made the call at the time was right there, and immediately signaled Utah ball. At the monitor I swear they were looking at it for about 5 minutes. The crowd was booing. It was like the one ref wanted to keep looking until he saw something that would overturn the call, but Iā€™m paranoid about PAC refs.

5 Likes

We are looking like a tournament team. The fact we can come back against good squads is a very good sign. Iā€™m curious to see how we match up against the top half of the conference. Very exciting, and man how Iā€™ve missed good basketball at the U.

7 Likes

I remember it well. I was watching in the fitness room of our building, and didnā€™t want to get off the treadmill until the game was over. I got a bit more exercise than I had intended.

2 Likes

I am going to make that bold prediction: I think Utah has the team this year to win the Pac-12. Arizona looks VERY beatable right now (just lost to 5-6 Stanford, who lost at home to ASU two nights before). UCLA is down this year. Oregon also is beatable. With the amount of shooting, depth, experience, and overall play on both sides of the ball, I think this might just be Utahā€™s year. Other than Colorado, the Utes look like the best team in the league IMHO.

2 Likes

Curious how UW is with its 6ā€™11", 250# center playing. Kepnang did not play over the weekend. Of course, CU was without DaSilva.

I donā€™t see a story about this game in the Tribune. Seems like this is a pattern recently. Anybody else notice this? Meanwhile there are nice writeups in the Deseret News. [Edit: also in KSL.com.] Makes me wonder whatā€™s going on. Iā€™m not used to getting Utes sports information from those sources. I miss Josh Newman.

2 Likes

Trib seems to be always late. Usually takes a day before a write-up is dropped.

We did a much better job in the second half staying out of foul trouble. Lovering got his third early in the first half, and as a team had several more fouls than Washington, but that reversed itself in the second half. Lovering got suckered into a cheap foul by that Husky player that looked like he took a wrong turn on his way to Anthropology class. (or as Loyter said, looked like the grainy footage of Bigfoot). That guy was annoying, in my mind he should have gotten called for more fouls.

2 Likes

The Trib has failed to hire a beat writer for the U.

For the Hawaii game, played across the street from their offices, the Trib ran the AP copy on the game.

Itā€™s odd the paper who likes to tout themselves as independent has no Utah beat writer while they employee two for the school down south.

Theyā€™re also publishing tons of content from The Athletic. Seems to me to be an odd use of funds for a non-profit that begs for donations and gets mad when you have your ad blocked on.

3 Likes

It was heartwarming to see that someone was finally able to fit Bigfoot with some cool prescription sports glasses so he can lumber around the pristine rainforests of the Pacific Northwest with improved direction and clarity.

5 Likes

LOL!

2 Likes

The best center in the conference
The best shooter in the conference
The best pg in the conference
The best back up center in the conference
The best back up pg in the conference
Deepest bench we have had in forever.
Come on Utes keep this ship rolling!!

3 Likes

My new favorite chant from the band/Muss during a FT ā€œwhoā€™s your barberā€ā€”replacing ā€œyou let the whole team downā€ after a missed FT.

4 Likes

The challenge is that there are no bad teams in the Pac 12. Arizona and UCLA may be down, but nobody is a sure beat. Stanford blew out Arizona because its two true freshmen who are potential NBA stars took off. Colorado looks like itā€™s flying strong under the radar, like Utah. Weā€™ve seen Washington and WSU are good. Every road game will be a potential loss.

Were this team in the old WAC or MWC during Majerus it could waltz through the conference except maybe tough games at Provo or Albuquerque. We could count on 14-2 at least. Here, every game is a war.

3 Likes

Like Whit said when we joined the PAC, every game is like a bowl game back when bowl games meant something.

AP poll is lunacy

BYU is 12th.

Gonzaga is 24th with 4 losses, 2 to unranked teams including Washington.

Yet Utah and SDSU are both unranked despite only having 2 losses (Gonzaga just lost by double digits to sdsu at home

2 Likes

The pools are ridiculous. I am looking at the Bracketology instead. That all that matters anyway.

1 Like