Utes vs. Thunderbirds

Yes, Southern Utah is pretty difficult. You do realize that Evansville (who BYU beat by 41 tonight) is ranked ahead of Southern Utah in Kenpom, right?

I guess we will see what happens Saturday. Utah will need a better effort. Hopefully Carlson plays.

yes Evansville is a powerhouse :roll_eyes:, a household name

shouldn’t you be elsewhere complaint how Jimmer never got a true chance in the NBA

1 Like

Send more positive mojo my way cuz I think we’re gonna get smoked. Got no confidence this team can hang. :four_leaf_clover:

More of a powerhouse than Southern Utah, but ’ll leave you in your delusion with this parting thought. If the game was on a neutral court, Utah would have no chance, but where it is in SLC, if BYU plays poorly like they did in the 1st half of the NC state game, then Utah could win a close game, but that is their only shot.

LOL, Pope is doing his team a disservice by having their first road game in SLC. It’s hard to win on the road in college hoops.

Utah is pretty solid at home. I think Utah will win easily.

This team was tied with Houston with 5 minutes left in the game.

Actually, I justed checked the ESPN game flow for that game and Utah didn’t lead after the 13 minute mark of the 1st half, but nice try. Utah did keep the game relatively close though, so that is a credit to them. BYU will be favored in the game. If you really think Utah will “win easily”, you should take the points and bet on Utah. Will be easy money for you…

this same byu team finished 5th in the WCC last year. Do you think byu being undefeated is because its so much better than last year or because you have one of the lightest schedules in the country?

2 Likes

What does “Complete Truth” mean as your screen name and how old are you? I’m willing to put money on the age of 20.

6 Likes

No, BYU would not have been undefeated last year against NC state, Arizona State, and San Diego State. They also did not win last year against the “easier” teams with the margins that they have this year. Yes, most of the players are the same, but for some reason each one is much better than they were last year. There is a reason BYU is ranked #2 (IN ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL) in the Net rankings used to seed teams in the tournament and Utah is ranked #39. It is because BYU is very good and significantly better than Utah. That is the reason BYU will be favored in this game.

Is BYU National Championship good? That is usually how you crazy kids in Provou measure everything.

4 Likes

Well, they are ranked #2 in the Net ratings, so apparently someone does. But, my guess is that later in the season the Big 12 teams with elite atheletes will catch up some with BYU’s experience. Honestly, I would be ecstatic if BYU could even get back to the elite 8. That hasn’t happened since Danny Ainge.

Utah’s ceiling is what we witnessed last year against #4 Arizona at the Huntsman center. Utah was unbeatable that night. If Utah has that type of night, or anything close BYU is in trouble.

Tonights game was good. Utah played poor defense, and missed a lot of open threes. Smith will practice them hard to get them focused.

1 Like

Like I said, if BYU plays poorly like they did in the 1st half against NC state, I could see them losing, I just think the likely result is BYU winning by 5-10 points.

You’ve mentioned Net ratings several times. Is that a publication that I’m not seeing when I google?

2 Likes

Elite 8? Thats a discussion for late February or Early March not December 5th

Maybe Pope should try and make the Big Dance first?

2 Likes

Utefans won’t let me post the link, but it is put out by the NCAA. Sorry, if I mistyped, but it should have been “net rankings” instead of net ratings. If you google that it should come right up.

Do you have an equivalent poll to post, or is that it?

I was responding to someone who asked if I would be disappointed if BYU didn’t win the NCAA tournament.

Well Kenpom has BYU ranked at #6 and Utah at #40. Does that work?