Utes basketball 2022 offseason thread

Ill bet he gets contacted by 100+ schools. Im sure Utah will be among them even though I think the odds are basically 0.

But I do like the path. he put up 5 and 5 in 14 minutes as a freshman for a mediocre mercer team. Transferred to UVU and became a beast.

Im guessing that Craig and Co will look far and wide for playable pieces but I wouldn’t be surprised if we brought in a guy or 2 that we will hope is on a similar path and just needs to be in the right spot.

Just heard that UCLA has been in the Sweet 16 five out of the last nine years. I hope we can get to that level.

So, Iowa State just advanced to the Sweet 16. Last year they won two(!) games all season. It can be done. I hope we can do it too. And by that I mean turn this thing around and make the dance. I’m not expecting a Sweet 16 run…yet.

3 Likes

With the transfer portal it should be easier to accomplish than ever before.

Admit it; you laughed.

Lahat to the portal. 3 available scholarships. Id guess anywhere from 1-3 more will become available.

1 Like

David Jenkins and Jack Jamele in the portal. Jamele is a walkon. I didn’t know he could do the portal thing.

2 Likes

I have a hunch that these players were advised that the portal was a good next step for them.

7 Likes

I hope that’s the case. I don’t like bashing our guys, but they simply haven’t shown they’ve got what it takes. I wish them well, though, just not here.

3 Likes

4 scholarship guys in the portal now. I really do wish all of those guys well. I hope they find opportunities.

Craig now has a chance to better shape the roster for the short and long term. I hope he can find the right pieces.

4 Likes
1 Like

Ditto.

Can we please get some walk ons in the 80 to 84 inch range.

Really a bummer coach Smith lost his head assistant right in the middle of the portal push.

1 Like

One of the big disappointments from this past season was the lack of production from David Jenkins. He was a 15+ ppg scorer and only averaged 8ppg. We really needed him this season and it didn’t work for whatever reason.

Don’t just assume that the portal is going to be the answer to all our problems.

1 Like

Larry’s name comes up for the opening at San Diego.

1 Like

This is the exact kind of player we should be pursuing. 2 years of D1 experience. A lot of upside and eligibility left. he could start but at the same time could play along side RW. I mean, Id love to get the kid who averaged 16 points and 8 boards on 40% from downtown or the pg who is putting up 15\5\5 but i dont know how realistic that is for our program right now.

Yes please

2 Likes

Also this. Yes i want all 7 footers

1 Like

I’ll bet he ends up at Provo.