Utah Basketball 2023-2024 Recruiting

They’re both from Mali, and Sanogo laid out the recipe to follow: hard work

March Madness 2023 - Adama Sanogo delivers on promise for UConn - Sports Illustrated

But his summer work of expanding his game turned him into one of the most complete players in college basketball and unlocked UConn’s championship-level ceiling.

After that March 2022 meeting, Sanogo set the tone for the Huskies with his work ethic. Freshman Alex Karaban says Sanogo would make at least 500 jump shots a day during the summer, in addition to logging time on the bike and ab workouts.

“I always have trust in Adama, but I didn’t expect his shot to come this fast,” Karaban says. “And he’s the hardest-working player. I know in a couple days he’s going to be back in the gym [shooting].”

You are right about Kuzma. As a freshman, he only averaged three points and a few minutes a game. I believe he redshirted his first year too.

What I remember about Kuzma is that he looked lost as a freshman. Chapman was the other freshman and he looked really good at times. When they were both sophomores, Kuzma looked really good while Chapman looked lost. Chapman transferred to Weber St and had a decent Big Sky career.

Anyway, hopefully Keita takes a big step forward next year.

Chapman was the more highly regarded recruit and the better freshman.

I remember that. Some magazines claimed he had an NBA future and the way he looked as a freshman it wouldn’t have surprised me.

Showed a lot of promise in high school and considered one of the top candidates in the state. His senior year he was suspended by the school late in the season and didn’t play in the state tourney and there was talk of incidents not officially made public while he was playing at Utah. These issues possibly kept him from reaching his true potential which is unfortunate.

He also either refused to try to gain weight or was one of those guys who cannot do it.

This guy might help us for a season.

1 Like

Two things that jumped out about Bajema:

• He was a starter in the PAC, was a top 3 point threat
  • What he observed about Utah as a PAC opponent. We all thought we saw something good in the way Smith was developing this team. Bajema saw it, too.
7 Likes

Listened to a recent ESPN 700 interview with Craig Smith. He indicated that the Utes still have a scholarship available. I thought they used the last one on a pg from Sacramento. He also said that they are still recruiting 4 or 5 kids for the upcoming season. I did not know this, but the transfer from Ga Tech needs a waiver to be eligible this year. Smith believes the Addison of Bajema and Erickson will give the Utes better outside shooting. He believes the Utes will look a lot different physically with the addition of the big guy from Colorado

4 Likes

I think a waiver is always necessary if the player transfers more than once. But these waivers seem to be a rubber stamp. I’ve never seen one denied.

everytime I hear the word Turks I cant help but sing the lyric, “Istanbul was Constantinople, now its Istanbul … thats nobodies business but the Turks”

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

That’s right. It’s my business and no one else’s.

6 Likes

Looks to be a banger body who can shoot (except FT). Some highlights here.

2 Likes

We needed PF depth. Was hoping for an athletic raw body to put behind Ben. At least he has some size not very athletic. I would be surprised if we saw him much this year.

2 Likes

As completely broken as our men’s basketball program is you take anyone that is willing to come here.

2 Likes

A Euro player who can rebound and defend, and he shoots 44% from 3-point range. Intriguing addition to the team.

2 Likes