Utah @ ASU Game Thread

I wasn’t counting the Fiesta Bowl, so maybe I should have specified I was only counting games against ASU.

3 Likes

best part of this game : the last 7 minutes of the game a guy in section 19 that yelled at the ASU AD to resign and other well thought out comments. The AD was standing under the goal post .

reminded me of gabby johnson

2 Likes

Seemed like the game was bookended by sloppy somewhat uninspred play. Dont know if we had the bench in by then. If so, I guess the TD is a reasonably price to pay for resting starters and training up guys that will be more experienced when we need later.
BTW, very concerne for Kuthie. Loved seeing him with the team (I’ll bet he insisted to be there) but his face was a portrait of pain.

2 Likes

The only thing good about seeing Kuithe with the bag of ice on his knee is (it seems to me) they don’t normally ice up an ACL - it just doesn’t matter, surgery is coming.

Whatever happened, it looked like a non-contact injury, so hopefully a sprain or something less severe.

5 Likes

The score deceives - it wasn’t a clean game for the Utes, even though it was a convincing win. The Forks have some talent but they’re obviously a program in tatters. Their interim coach made several errors, and the initial energy they brought drained quicker than a birthday balloon.

Player of the Game: JaQuindan Jackson - a lot of guys would have packed it in after losing the QB2 battle, but JJ has been a monster on special teams, and got his chance to contribute at RB. He deserves the Micah Bernard Team Guy / Versatility Award, for this week.

Defensive POTG - tie between Gabe Reid and CP3. Phillips’ pick ended what was looking like building momentum by the Forks, and gave Emory Jones his first INT for the year. Reid looked like an all PAC player.

Offensive POTG - have to be Kincaid, who had 2 quick TDs - one a juggling 4th down catch - that gave the Utes the win…in the first quarter.

Special Teams POTG - Jadon Redding. Not only did we find the KO guy who can put it in the EZ, Redding made TWO touchdown saving tackles where our KO coverage broke down.

To be 1-0 in PAC play, win in dominant fashion and still have things to clean up - it’s a good position to be in, loooooong way to go. Fortunately we have player leadership that will be taking the list of items to fix seriously, and I expect a better performance on RES on Saturday.

A special “F” for the TV coverage. Not only did they mis-identify JJ as a WR, they talked most of the night about the ASU job opening. I suppose credit to the Utes for making the broadcast and game pretty boring.

6 Likes

Whitt and Rising post-game comments to the media. (Warning: You’ll need to listen in a quiet place, because the audio is poor.)

1 Like

Seems like Cody Barton is reliably spectacular.
Dont get me started on the announcers. So sick and tired of the red-headed stepchild lable. (Not exact quotes) “USC is the PAC favorite as always…” “Washington is a looking Good for the North…”
I hope we kick their ■■■.

5 Likes

Wanna see more. Lots more. Love the way he ran yesterday. He keeps running like that and he could see himself sharing carries with the ones.

1 Like

Except that’s Noyes, not Redding. On that note, I was wondering why Redding was handling kickoffs in the first half. He rarely gets them through the end zone (a reason he lost the job to Noyes) and was an underlying reason said tackles even became necessary.

Second half kickoffs looked great and none were returnable- was that Redding or Noyes? Did anyone notice?

Utah moved up 1 spot to #12 in this week’s AP Poll:

I wonder why Penn St would move up 3 spots. Is Central Michigan some sort of power none of us knew about?

2 Likes

Seriously…HOW IS 4-0 KANSAS NOT RANKED??

2 Likes

JJ as a RB is pretty good. He was really good with ball security, 2 hands when we were in the red zone. At 6-2/225, a nice blend of athleticism with some punch, and seems to read the holes, creases and his blockers well. He packs more punch than Bernard, but is quicker than Thomas, with good lateral quickness and a decent burst.

ASU seemed to be reading Glover pretty well after a while, and JJ & Bernard presented different looks. As a QB he’s got the offense down really well, knows the protection schemes and where the play is going, etc. Granted, ASU is not the stiffest D we’re going to face, but it was a really impressive debut at RB for JaQuindan.

I see no reason why Jackson doesn’t take Chris Curry’s snaps. Last night he certainly epitomized the Next Man Up mantra.

2 Likes

[quote=“AbsoluteUte, post:108, topic:7656”]

Seems like (Lander) Barton is reliably spectacular.
[/quote]

I tend to dislike hyperbole toward one player in a team sport, but hard to argue against Barton as the future of Utah FB. Fillinger and Tafuna are very talented Sophs, and so great to have Broughton back.

One of the best plays for the D was Bishop’s sack of Jones, and fortunately Jones ducked into the tackle, otherwise we’d be hurting in the first half this coming Saturday.

Not a lot of action last night, but RJ Hubert is holding down the FS spot well, allowing Bishop to come lay some wood in the box & on blitzes. I’ve been watching Clayton Isbell (#12) when he’s got snaps. It seems to be coming to him, which is good. He’s a physical specimen, but going back to the days when Scalley played FS, it’s probably the most demanding position we have on defense.

2 Likes

Yeah and USC moves up to #4 …?

1 Like

USC is #6? Just one spot up.

2 Likes

Oops stand corrected. I was reading the Furlogh article in KSL. But they barely ran out Corvallis with the win.

1 Like

There’s apparently a lot of value in just being USC or Penn State.

5 Likes

Oops. I needed to read more before I posted.

I dug up the kicking stats and you are right, Noyes clearly outdid Redding::

I don’t recall who was kicking off in the second half, but based on these numbers I’ll bet it was Noyes. I recorded the game and will check later (my wife fell asleep for the second half so we are going to watch it again.)