Trouble in paradise

I agree with all these comments, and would add that as an LDS parent, I strongly discouraged my kids from even applying to that place. Athletic dumpster fire aside, academically and socially that place is destructive.

Superficially, I can fathom non-LDS parents wanting their kid to choose a safer, more balanced program. At first blush, BYU may seem like such a choice. But any amount of research will reveal it’s just the opposite. That place ruins lives and families.

7 Likes

LOL! I wish someone would post this on cooterboard!

2 Likes

All that soy and carbs in the diet…

Same question for the entire SEC. Though unpopular in political media, it is possible (and healthy, imo) to recognize that people who live today were not part of things that happened when they weren’t alive. But screw the zoobs anyway.

4 Likes

But hey they landed Josh Wilson, younger brother of Zach Wilson, to play LB. He was a low 0.83 rated 3* and this includes his drama Mama and her tweets.

2 Likes

So another few years of her 15 minute interviews right in the middle of a quarter?

7 Likes

Well, at least they’re knowledgeable and grounded in reality. This is from this morning.

“Why don’t we bring in one of our historically great QBs, like say, Ty Detmer, to Coach the QBs and run the offense?”

4 Likes

I already know what’s in her closet; what’s left to talk about?

2 Likes

Brilliant.

1 Like

The older generation of byu-p fans who can remember the 1984 season remind me of the Dennis Hopper character Shooter from the movie Hoosiers, except that they don’t have the option of drowning their sad, longing, sorrowful memories in a bottle of booze. Their pain is exquisite, and cannot be numbed by any medication.

3 Likes

Shooter and I both resent that remark :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t go to cougar board, but I sometimes see gems like the one above and this one on Facebook:

So there!

3 Likes

LOL! That is rich. Zoobs know how to justify a loss. Poppinga anyone?

2 Likes

BYU fans have become the Utah fans of the 80s. It is so funny to watch them now. My grandfather played football at BYU he wanted to go to Utah but followed the advice of his parents and played for them because of the religion. He told me he regrets the decision everyday they were offer when he played Utah.

3 Likes

They think it is academically superior than Utah, but it’s supply and demand. A lot of BYU graduates want their sons and daughters to go to BYU so they won’t be corrupted and they can find a mate. Because of that BYU can raise the entrance requirements and accept the so called cream off the top of LDS kids. Utah joins the AAU BYU not so much.

4 Likes

I was a fan during the dark times that were the 1980’s, and we had more going for us than these bowl floaters.

Our season always started with “Let’s go win the WAC!!!” Because we had a conference to play in and try to win. “Indy isn’t a conference.”

A couple of games into the season, with the WAC dreams promptly flushed down the toilet after a couple of losses, we reset to “Let’s get to .500!!!” Because a .500 record/season was better than another losing season. .500 gets them to a bowl, which is an improvement, sort of, but to get to the next point…

When a .500 season was lost, the cry became ■■■■■ it - let’s gear up to beat BYU!!!” It was the last thing on the list - and I remember a few seasons during that time where we hit this threshold as early as the fourth game of the season. With the game coming at the end of the season, it at least kept us interested in watching out the string. They get to get ■■■■-hammered by us right out of the chute, then have to play out the string for some third-tier bowl game - if they can get to .500.

Their life sucks!!! And it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving school.

The 1980’s sucked for Utah, but there was always something to play for. TDS, after we kick their asses every season, has nothing to play for. It is no wonder they can’t fill Rice-Eccles South.

6 Likes

I watched it.

3 Likes

I watched the last couple of minutes. I was surprised to see an experienced D1 quarterback stare down a single receiver in probably the most important play of the game up to that point, resulting in an easy game-ending interception. Who is coaching the quarterbacks there?

2 Likes

I caught it by accident. Had some old episodes of Star Trek or Dr. Who or something playing in the background and decided to see what else was on.

Flipped back and forth between that and reruns from 20+ years ago… The G5 and FCS games are a good tune-up for the real stuff.

2 Likes

additionally, undergrad tuition isn’t just a bargain its a steal at $5,800 per year. You could graduate from BYU and pay about the same as you would for a new Honda Accord (with leather seats and power windows).

3 Likes