Trouble in paradise

Seen on Facebook:

They’re just now coming to this conclusion? Damn, those Zoobs are about 10 years too late on Holmoe. They should’ve been smart enough to stay in the MWC, but nooooo they give us this comedy of errors to laugh at.

I suppose delusions die hard.

8 Likes

To the points…

Fire Holmoe - The truth is they should’ve never hired him in the first place. After destroying Cal’s athletic department, he should’ve never seen another gig as an AD. Firing him may be in order, but the School’s Trustees have been loathe to fire AD’s over the years. The fact is some of the Trustees are likely OK with him melting down the athletics department to get them out of D1.

Fire Sitake - losing a game to a team playing at home, that had a better record and was picked by the oddsmakers to win, is no crime. Given all the problems TDS has recruiting competitive talent, the fact they were even in any game is an accomplishment of some damned good coaching. There is no other coach TDS could bring in that could pull off the miracles Kalani has pulled off. Extending him was the right thing to do for their program. If they fire him, there are no viable replacements out there to choose from. Ken Niumatololo is not walking through that door. Take another shot with Crowton? …Please! Schmooze Jay Hill? He will be going to better G5 schools than TDS. Gary Anderson? He will retire from USU. Promote one of Sitake’s assistants? Going from the frying pan into the fire…the one they hire will have the job security of the drummer of Spinal Tap.

Fire Tuiaki - Dude is still early on in this development as a DC. He is a damned good recruiter and is showing promise as a coordinator. They played better defense this year than they have ever played. The only issue they had was injuries. Just like we saw in the past, their #1’s are competitive with any other school any given day. The problem is there #2’s on down are not…and there was a lot of bench players out there playing against Hawaii. The fire would be just as stupid as firing Sitake. All that would happen is Tuiaki would go about 100 miles north to Logan and torture the ■■■■ out of TDS for the next decade.

TDS fan needs to realize this is as good as it is going to get. You are not a National Program/Brand. You are not going to get even a sniff at any sort of championship. You are not going to fill Rice-Eccles South for anything other than a game against Utah. This is the rest of your life…live with it.

14 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Well said.

3 Likes

I do get the frustration with the D. byu played dropped 8 into coverage almost the entire game and Hawaii’s WRs still got behind the DBs.

2 Likes

They definitely should have stayed in the MWC. But their arrogance…

9 Likes

Nobody outside Provo was even aware that game was on. Even hardcore college football fans aren’t going to watch byu play Hawaii on Christmas Eve.

1 Like

2 Likes

I agree. My only question might be, can they find a better person to call plays on O? Maybe not.

Recruits are only aware of 4 or 5 years of history. Everything else is stories that they hear someone tell. Only if your parents are fans of a particular school are they aware of anything that happened 5 years ago. Kids in junior high simply have others things they are doing. At that point, they look up to HS sports and are very little aware of college sports.

3 Likes

I read that he is now serving as a Stake President. For those not aware, that position oversees a region of ~10 congregations and usually is 8-10 years. Of course, if he moves for work or otherwise, he will stop serving. And with the great turnaround Navy had this year after a challenging 2018 (3-10 to 10-2 without JC and transfer opportunities), I think he’s there until he retires.

4 Likes

TDS is 6-7 versus MWC teams over last 13 including the bowl loss

5 Likes

But 1984!

5 Likes

I think you are a few years off in re football memory. I am in my early 30s and remember nothing of the 1996 football season, right when my family is making the transition from BYU to Utah fans.

2 Likes

The other reality to keep in mind is that when you are a 17 year-old recruit, even five years ago is a long time.

3 Likes

BYU-P is one of the slowest teams in college football. No DC is going to make them faster.

3 Likes

Slow and getting slower. It used to be that byu had a couple of guys who could run, not enough of them, but they had one or two.

This is one of the things I don’t get. A certain segment of that fanbase believes that if they just did away with the Honor Code (or at least for athletes or non-LDS folks) that these kids would suddenly start flocking to BYU.

4 Likes

Cooterboard angst is a really entertaining thing to see.

All season long they rushed 3 and dropped 8 into coverage and teams were still beating them deep. That is a special kind of slow.

4 Likes

I still don’t understand why anyone who is not LDS would want to go there. I still don’t understand how they get black athletes to play at a school named after a guy who supported slavery and had priesthood restrictions. I don’t understand how BYU isn’t a bigger recruiting joke than it already is. Especially when the parent company has almost as much cash in reserve as Apple and won’t spend more than minimum wage on a coach. I’d rather play anywhere than Provo.

11 Likes