This last game is a symbol of the entire K3 era

I wish I had more stars to give.

I wasnt makeing excuses. I agree with you. I just said I feel bad for LK. I think he deserved better from Lohner, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched enough lately to speak with “authority” but I feel like it’s only ethical to give people a free pass for not doing their jobs well in 2020-21 when they had to balance with COVID-19. I certainly didn’t do a great job and part of the problem was my coworkers not doing a great job either.

Except politicians. They don’t get a free pass.

I was just thinking…if Harlan gives Larry another year, I will be back in my seats watching them next season. I’ve missed going this year, even with the mediocre play. But it’s still in my blood, and I’ll go watch, and just experience Utah basketball history as it unfolds, for better or for worse. But I would not be unhappy at all to see somebody new take over and lead us into the post-pandemic era.

That’s the gamble. Do you stay where you are, or do you risk the setback of a new coach? A new coach brings a certain chance of success and a larger chance of locking us into mediocrity forever. The breaking point occurs when you figure that we are already locked into mediocrity forever. It would be easier if we weren’t always so close to being good.

You are giving Pope too much credit. BYU will be what they are with any coach. They are the #2 program in a conference that will usually send 2 teams to the tournament. As a program, they’ve been basically the same my entire life. Reid, Cleveland, Rose, Pope - it’s always the same team.

BYU is a program that benefits from the new style of basketball. They’ve never had a great big man or an amazing above-the-rim athlete, but the Mormon Church will forever be able to crank out little white dudes who are happy to chuck up three pointers.

College basketball is different than college football. It can actually be easier to make the tournament and to build a program as a mid major. Gonzaga could have never had its rise to power in a P5 conference.

1 Like

Since I don’t follow them, this is news to me. What’s up?

We are not stuck in mediocrity forever. WE are stuck there now.

also with either Giac or Boylen have you ever seen the fanbase as apathetic as right now vs either of those two guys. reign ??

Perhaps i might be the only apologist for Boylen. He was not the anitchrist. He showed with other recruits he could do fine. He had a hard time recruiting. I heard he made some local coaches mad. He did leave Clyburn who could score and jj something that ended up playing for the jazz in the d league.
WE saw his ceiling and Hill acted quickly . But for me, in both giac and boylen years i didnt miss too many games. Used to at least record them nd watch them later in the evening. Followed the team with zeal, especially here at UFN.

Today the only way i know a game is happening is someone starts a thread. I don’t find long stretches of not scoring interesting. I dont like the changing rosters every year while being told " i just need to bring in my guys" . I dont like the style of turnovers ball they play. I want to support Utes. But i am out on basketball til something changes.

2 Likes

also i may not know anything about basketball. I should check twitter

2 Likes

There’s been a clear improvement in our past few hires:

Giac << Boylen << Larry

If trends continue…look out!

3 Likes

I think he’s saying the pope will get hired by a bigger program likely in the SEC or ACC

1 Like

Change is going to have to happen. I just hope it’s an improvement instead of a disaster which seems likely.

1 Like

“The Pope” to the SEC or ACC?

But he would have to give up the Vatican. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

You can fool some of the papal some of the time…

6 Likes

Larry didn’t have a job for his dad.

4 Likes

Here is a thought…

Why not go to the well of former players to get the new HC to replace LK? Lord knows there are a boatload of them from the Rick Era who already have coaching cred. Hell, Michigan hired Juwan Howard off the street with basically no coaching experience and are doing just fine.

All I know is I am sick of the “wash…rinse…repeat” cycle of poor performance in the basketball program we have seen since Jordan Loveridge graduated. We have had success here before. Maybe bringing in a HC that is a part of that tradition might get us back there.

My first choice would be Thad Matta.

2 Likes

“Change is going to have to happen. I just hope it’s an improvement instead of a disaster which seems possible.”

FTFY. I’m in the boat that the next hire could be better, or could be worse. We won’t know immediately, but we will know within a year or 2. I hope that the next coach will be an improvement. It’d be great to get another Majerus, but another PImm would be a step up right now.

Jimmy Soto would take us to The Final Four

1 Like

I’m not sure about that.

1 Like