This last game is a symbol of the entire K3 era

Sure you’re not Gordon Monson? Sounds like him talking about us not having a chance to get better than Ron McBride. I know your arguments are not exactly the same but at a high level you both are/were saying we can’t do better because we’re Utah.

Like you are saying, he also would have gloated had Urban not been better. He never got that chance did he? And just like him you’ll root against our new coach. Hope you don’t get the chance either.

1 Like

You folks don’t understand or haven’t paid attention to Utah’s demographics and which cultures produce good football players and which produce good basketball players.

Things have shifted over the past 30-40 years. Utah should be in the top 15 in football every year. Basketball we should be happy to break into the top 60.

Well if nothing else we shouldn’t have the 8th highest paid coach to languish in the 60’s. Larry isn’t paid to be there. We can languish there for a lot less money. I don’t believe for a second that is our ceiling.

3 Likes

I think this point needs to be expounded upon.

I will not blame the loss of Lohner for the way our team is playing, but you’re correct it’s not as simple.

It’s one thing when you’re recruiting a kid and he commits to another team. Or even when you commits and then decommits, you at least can still have some ability to replace them.

Lohner’s path not only kept his services from Utah, but also kept Utah from recruiting someone for that spot.

Larry took the high road which I admire, but there’s no doubt the tampering case of Lohner was more harmful than just not getting a recruit. (And I would say it’s possible there were some waves through recruiting about why a kid wanted out of his LOI)

3 Likes

Can you expound on that?

I don’t have any actual info, but having been around a couple of teams and athletes I know how recruiting works.

For example, 20 years ago in gymnastics several teams would tell recruits Greg Marsden threw chairs across the gym and was a complete jerk. It wasn’t true, but they’d use it to scare the recruits they knew were coming on visits. (I later knew a gymnast who was petrified on her visit because of these stories)

Don’t think for a second other teams aren’t telling recruits there’s some other reason he wanted out of his LOI. Recruiting can be a very shady business. And I imagine it’s even tougher with the pandemic.

Maybe you should be the AD since you are so wide in the ways of college basketball. Or you could stop trolling and act like a regular human being.

2 Likes

I’m drafting a letter to Mark Harlan which will outline my findings.

Good idea. I hope you include the stuff about Utah boys’ names. That was the best part.

7 Likes

Most compelling part by far.

Our coaching staff is 3 old white guys & a coach who spent all his career in Costa Rico. No Black Coach or a young AAU connected coach.
Other programs listed like Colo & WSU have both areas covered.

Lohner’s father was offered employment by BYU athletic department. So far Holmoe vs Harlan has been an advantage for BYU. Say what you want about Dr Chris Hill, he never let BYU make advances without a fight.

The things I hear about Pope are not flattering at all. Shady would be an understatement. I don’t know how much is true but what I hear seems to fit.

2 Likes

Pope makes me think he’s greasy as hell. In his nearly two years at byu, his best players have been transfers. Last year he got half the UVU team to transfer.
I have no inside information but I think the whole Lohner affair feels worse than it sounds.

2 Likes

Pope played at Kentucky. That should be a hint.

4 Likes

Under Pitino? If so, that explains a lot.

Yep. Pitino.

Last time I looked, Donnie Daniels was still black.

4 Likes

All these responses to the original post prove my point: The Oregon game was a symbol of the K3 era.

“If only we had not lost a recruit.” “If only we had not had bad luck with the pandemic.” “If only we weren’t in Utah.” (What!!!) “If only this that or the other.”

“If only we had not traveled with 5 seconds to go.” “Oh, actually that was not real traveling.” “If only we had not had an injury.” “If only this that or the other.”

I’m tired of this same old garbage, round and around and around. Year after year after year. I’m willing to gamble with the head coaching position just to get out of this Groundhog day. Blow this sucker up, and start over.

5 Likes

You make some great points. There are a lot of excuses. That said, the two hires before K were much, MUCH worse and I fear another one of those fiascos. Not that I want this to continue but it feels like we’re closer to success under K than hitting rock bottom.

But what do I know?

1 Like