This idiot dentist

As a teacher, maybe I’m desensitized by being around teenagers all day. They say some pretty terrible stuff to each other, but I expected what this idiot said to be way worse based on the response it’s received. Of course, it’s unacceptable behavior by anyone.

He shouldn’t lose his ability to support his family as a result of this, but I also wouldn’t go to him unless he was family or a close friend after seeing this.

2 Likes

The social disgrace he is suffering is more a consequence of his actions than a punishment. Nothing he did is criminal, but it is so public and vile that he will suffer a lot for it. But he is by no means alone in suffering out of proportion to his action, even after his well worded apology.

https://twitter.com/ajpro82/status/1187470904395096064/photo/1

Think of Alan Turing the computer genius who lost his life essentially because he was gay. Or perhaps remember those who suffered career loss for marijuana convictions. The list of social consequences is huge. How about Monica Lewinsky’s terrible but not really act?

I like this guy’s apology but so many people will not accept it. I’ll bet the player does though.

2 Likes

Seems like much ado about nothing to me. I assume that most public figures get tweets like this on a routine basis.

He will definitely get convicted in the court of public opinion, and that’s probably worse than he deserves. But the apology rings hollow to me. He didn’t know the impact of a message like that? He doesn’t realize the power of social media? He’s getting help now for his anger management? Mmm Hmm. Call me jaded…

1 Like

The only person who needs to accept the apology, or not accept it is the player. The “fans” or those calling for Dr. Proctor’s demise (financially or otherwise) don’t really matter in anyway. It’s good that we know that Dr. Proctor made a mistake, and better that he realized that he made a huge mistake. I hope that he learns from it. His family shouldn’t have to suffer for his poor reaction to a play that Dr. Proctor was not involved in, except as an observer.

1 Like

Unfortunately, his tweet caused great embarrassment not only to himself, his family and his business associates, but also to the university and university community. It’s a national story. And of course, those on that ‘other’ board are having a heyday with this and making their usual broad generalizations about our fan base. Hopefully this will cause us to give pause before we post negative material on social media.

3 Likes

They are in full melt-down mode over on CB over it. I couldn’t care less. Doesn’t reflect well on the school if you want to associate him with the U; but otherwise, just an idiot move by someone who didn’t think before he pushed send.

1 Like

While it does reflect poorly on the University and on Ute football fans, I learned a long time ago that I am not responsible for the conduct of people who happen to cheer for the same team that I cheer for.

3 Likes

That should be the case but it simply is not true. His business and family will likely suffer from his one time action. Many will hold it against him forever.

Hillary Clinton forgave Bill and I knew people who called themselves Christians who hated her for forgiving him! Monica Lewinsky gave him a blowjob (oh the horror) and Jay Leno bet it to death over and over again.

People pay their debt to society and they still can’t catch a break.

You are committing a form of the is/ought fallacy (usually it is reversed). What ought to be is not what is in this case; nor in many others. And as much as as you would like the world to be forgiving it isn’t. To say only the player’s forgiveness matters is sadly naive.

Evan (the ASU player) will put it behind himself faster than the world.

3 Likes

I know, you are correct. A whole lotta couldas, wouldas, shouldas in his DM. At least he reached out with a public apology. What everyone else does, is beyond our control.

I’ve known many who have paid their debts to society. Sadly only a couple have caught a break. Unfortunately those that didn’t catch that break became quite bitter. Plenty of “I’ll screw the world before it screws me” coming from them. Sadly that in turn has damaged other lives, and may become a cycle.

Back to the dentist, again, at least he apologized. Sadly his family, business, and many associations will suffer for his momentary lack of judgement. For all their sakes, I hope he becomes forgotten in the near future, as something more interesting comes along to take the attention away from him and his.

I really haven’t paid attention to this until just now. The story below seems to be a pretty complete report on the whole stupid affair.

The guy apologized pretty humbly. It’s not for us to accept or reject his apology, but I imagine the player and his family will.

The guy made a huge mistake. He seems like a relatively young person, and there’s not much more to say about how idiotic it was for him to do what he did. Great example of how with Twitter and other social media, stupid statements become permanent and widely known.

As UTEopia says, no one is responsible for what the guy said except him, no matter what the great minds posting on BYU message boards might think.

One unfortunate result of the dentist’s behavior is that the focus is now off the ASU team‘s dirty play, off the impressive Utah win, and on this stupid tweet. And the dirty player himself has become a victim. Kind of a hat trick of foolishness.

3 Likes

Some of the public reactions are overblown, but I have a hard time feeling sympathy for him. How many people need to be raked over the coals, and have their lives ruined before others realize that you just can’t do this kind of crap in this day and age without serious repercussions.

Social media has become the modern day kangaroo court, and the punishments handed down are often times far worse than anything our legal system can levy. Of course he and his family don’t deserve to be destroyed, but what a dolt, all the way around (from being angry enough to even think about sending a letter, to actually sending it).

2 Likes

I just want to say that the athlete and his mom’s response were just about perfect. ASU should use these in their public relations and communications courses.

3 Likes

The player made a nasty play, got ejected, and I very it is very probable he’s been paying for it in practice this week. The dentist was highly inappropriate, virtually all of our fanbase is upset with him, and he is learning there are consequences to unrestrained free speech.

As far as Zoob-board, I don’t give a rat’s ass about what is said on there.

2 Likes

What the guy said to the player was awful, and it wasn’t even in the heat of the moment but was nearly 24 hours later.

People talking about it, condemning him for saying it, etc, is to be expected because that type of behavior is intolerable. This was not a ‘nothing’ issue as some people claim, because Mark Harlan had to respond. That is a VERY serious issue if the AD from the school has to get involved.

His employer was well within his right to terminate his contract (he apparently was a contract dentist, started working there approx a year ago).

But the very fact that people were piling on and saying this type of behavior is intolerable is NOT the reason why the guy was fired. And anybody who has a problem with the fact that he was fired over DM-ing an opposing player, calling him a “worthless pile of ■■■■” and telling him to “go ■■■■ off and die”, should go take it up with his employer.

1 Like

The guy responded solely based on his feeling of superiority and privilege. He thought this was something that only ‘other’ people get in trouble for doing. He has only himself to blame, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Welcome, Sully!

Good points, I can’t say I disagree. I do hope the Dentist can put this behind him the way the player’s family has…

1 Like

This incident is similar to the recent Astros incident. Another example of someone losing a good job after letting their emotion get the best of them.

I think there are a few reasons so many feel uncomfortable with the punishment in these types of cases:

1. We’ve all let our emotion get the best of us at times. I’ve never done what either of these guys did, but I’ve certainly said some regrettable things.
  2. People regularly do far worse things than curse out a player without any real consequences, and that offends our sense of justice. If only this dentist had slept with some other dude’s wife instead of saying the f-word on Twitter, he’d still have a job.
  3. In almost all cases, the opinion of the offended party doesn’t matter at all. Does the ASU player want this guy to lose his job? I don’t know, but it doesn’t matter because we need dentist blood.
1 Like