This idiot dentist

Give the guy a break, he is just a dentist. It is not like he went hunting big game in Africa and ended up shooting a rare, domesticated lion and bragging about his hunting prowess.

1 Like

Long term impact is impossible to determine. The dentist (what’s with these guys?) from Minnesota that killed the black lion in Africa that had the whole country after his ass, opened his practice back up and I believe it’s business as usual.

People will forget it.

This guy made a MAJOR mistake. Perhaps in the heat of the moment, perhaps under the influence of something, perhaps both, perhaps others.

He apologized, and given the level of reaction and coverage, i’m certain he has learned his lesson.

The player accepted his apology, so should we.

If media keep focusing on it, well, they have apparently have nothing else more inflammatory to focus on.

If other fan bases keep focusing on it, well, they have their own problems that require introspection, and could perhaps spend their time with those.

If we keep focusing on it, well, we keep this guy and his family from healing and keep drawing negative attention to the UofU and our own fan base.

He learned a lesson, and many of us (us being all sports fans everywhere that read about this) had a reminder that civility is more important than sports, wins, etc.

Time to move on… nothing left to see here, let’s all move on and put this behind us.

4 Likes

We have created a technology we really don’t understand the consequences of and it’s enabled a huge number of people to fall into the trap of thinking there is a consequence free world where you can say anything and act in any way.

They are wrong. But there are also deep problems with the selective outrage and over reaction when consequences do come. We’ve lost our sense of balance and react out of proportion too often.

I used to love the internet but I saw someone describe it as being a live grenade we play with as children who have no clue about the risk. That’s pretty much how I view it now. The guy is an idiot. His family doesn’t need to be destroyed for the equivalent of a very bad drunk dial and this certainly shouldn’t rise to the national news level because it isn’t the equivalent of the genocide of the Kurds or a trillion dollar debt…but he is also a reminder and cautionary tale about how should stop trusting Facebook and Twitter to keep us anonymous and even in anonymity we should still maintain a sense of decency and avoid acts that should shame us.

Oh well, not solving the internet here today. We will endeavor to keep it classy.

GO UTES!

2 Likes

Are there reasonable adults who really believe that there is anonymity on the internet? Are there reasonable adults who don’t understand the the consequences of posting something on the internet?

Not in this day and age. The days of ignorance in this regard are gone.

1 Like

Oh you’d be surprised. Where I work we’ve had several educated adults get themselves into some remarkable trouble putting up public stuff on their social media. Ranged from calling in sick while posting their party on Facebook for everyone to see, to getting caught using their official emails from work to visit some very naughty places. Happens all around you. What I have noticed is a bubble of those under 35 simply not caring about privacy while a bigger bubble of those 40+ having no clue that what they do under their work emails aren’t private… SHOULD everyone know better? Sure. Do they? Not even close.

People are trained by the tv to be extremely emotional at all times these days. What you observe well is merely a consequence.

More training in reason and the relationship between emotion and reason would cause different outcome.

It is only a national story because the media wizards are intentionally brewing violence in the streets by keeping everyone hyper focused on “hate”. Anything “hate”.

Reasonable adults do not consider this news.

Banning him from games for a year seems unreasonable. The kid who made the viscious hit to the head gets one game.

Is calling names really worse, much less that much worse?

The public shame is enough.

Yeah understood. I know there’s a movement to try and get every organization to police and punish anyway they can anyone who is remotely affiliated to them, especially for certain things. I don’t agree with it though. I’m just saying I don’t think the U needs to punish fans for things they say on twitter.

Not to condone. There are a lot of ways to insult someone, if that’s what one really wants to do, sans vulgarity. Some bring it to a high art…
Where I came from GFY or, ES&D were fairly common ways of bantering with on another. F#@$ was another way to say “very.”

Edit:
I’m trying to say is that people sometimes don’t - but often should - speak on the internet as if they would in person.
Be of good sportsmanship.

I agree.

1 Like