The “what are you cooking right now?” Thread

I use dry vermouth all the time in cooking (and occasionally in a perfect martini :slight_smile: ), but I’m generally using it to deglaze a pan of sautéed chicken, etc. I never use sweet vermouth for cooking (although I occasionally make a perfect Manhattan using it :slight_smile: ). If I’m deglazing a pan of beef, I’ll use an inexpensive red wine or cheap brandy.

I’m not sure what the rest of your recipe called for, or how much of any other ingredient, but what you described above does not sound like the result of using 3 tablespoons of sweet vermouth.

3 Likes

The best part of having honey baked ham on Sunday is having ham hock soup on Tuesday. The morning of boiling the bone and the dark ham pieces for the soup base gets the house smelling really good. Will cook my cornbread before dinner so it’s nice and warm.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone on the board has much experience or expertise in cooking Greek Food, and in particular, if there are any recommendations for a good Greek cook book.

I’ve been told by some of my older Greek friends in town about a book called, Greek Cooking At Its American Best, by Ellen Furgis, but it’s been out of print for decades and I hesitate to pay on the order of $100-$150 online for a used cook book without looking at it first.

I have always loved Greek food, and now that I’m retired and cooking a lot more, I’d like to learn a bit about it and experiment a little.

2 Likes

As I am lazy as hell when it comes to Greek food, it’s usually a trip to Costco for gyro meat and pita bread. :wink:

My laziest creation is using gyro meat, refried beans, shredded lettuce, Navajo fry bread and the gyro sauce to make a Navajo Taco, not taco.

They have other premade items in their frozen foods.

The “Joy of Cooking” has some Greek recipe’s that are pretty good.

I will offer the warning that if you are not used to cooking meats that tend to have strong odors (or odors you’ve never experienced from cooking) there will be some of it. That part is an acquired thing.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments re: Greek food, and yes, the strong meat odors are not an issue for me, but I do hear a bit about it from my wife on occasion :slight_smile:

Navajo Tacos… A million years ago (in the mid 70’s) I worked with a fellow who introduced me to a lot of good food and great restaurants. There was a place, just west of 40th West on 5400 South, (I think) on the north side of the street, that had the best Navajo Tacos, and which we frequented for years. I don’t recall the name of the place (anyone?) and I’m pretty sure it’s not still there, but now I’m going to spend the rest of the day thinking about those great lunches.

Any place in town where good authentic Navajo Tacos can be had now? Please!?!

1 Like

Navajo Hogan
447 E 3300 South

4 Likes

I’m a fan of this guys youtube channel. He has a restaurant in San Diego and the stuff I’ve made of his is very good. He has a few Greek recipes in his list of videos.

2 Likes

I made and tried for the first time Cincinnati Chili. It was interesting. Not bad, but I’m not sure I would make it again. It definitely has a unique flavor. No beans, but the sauce is made up of cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice and brown sugar.

I guess traditionally it goes on top of spaghetti and is topped off with raw diced onions and cheddar cheese. Very different and tasty.

2 Likes

If chili doesn’t have New Mexico Chili Powder, Sweet Peppers, minced garlic, and petite diced tomatoes, it’s not chili.

I made it for a party 12 years ago, but I was so busy I never got to try it. People told me it was good though. A lot of work.

I may need to pay attention to my ingredients for when I make Chili Colorado, no sweet peppers or maters. I do use my red chili enchilada sauce, but haven’t paid attention to quantities in years.

I may need to make some Chili Verde in the nearish future too.

Sorry, you’ve just given me reminders and ideas.