The pet peeves thread

Credit ratings are kind of all over the board. It really only matters if you are making a purchase that needs to be financed through a loan.

It’s just impossible to justify the arcane formulae used. Paying off a balance counts against you in some ways, as does closing a high APR card. Insane

My oldest started at Herriman High today. She has to get up at 5:30am to catch the 6:30am bus, which means I’m also now up at 5:30am. Thats only about 1/2-hour before I usually get up, so not a huge deal but still annoying. But that’s not my pet peeve.

My pet peeve is that the HS marching band (she plays trombone) practices until 9:00pm four days a week. By the time they wrap up and car pool home, it’s 9:30. Which means that if she gets ready for bed and immediately falls asleep by 10, then she’ll get 7.5 hours of sleep at the most. That…doesn’t seem great for a 15 year old.

Why TF do they have to practice so late?

5 Likes

Prepping them for PAC 12 After Dark? :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

Huh. Just asked Mrs CCU about her time in Marching Band. For her, school got out, roughly 4. Then they practiced for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. So, to agree with you, something is odd at Herriman High. And as we all remember 7.5hrs of sleep is too little for a teenager.

1 Like

Their schedule is really weird. The kids get out of school at 2:30, but they practice from 5:30-9:00 four days a week (my guess is that they schedule this later practice so the kids actually have time to do some homework while they’re still awake). They then typically play at a football game on Fridays and then do all-day competitions most Saturdays.

To me, the time commitment expected for band feels, frankly, completely insane. I was a collegiate athlete and we didn’t practice nearly as much as these high school band kids do. However, since I was never in band, I have no idea if this is typical or not.

It may be typical now, but certainly wasn’t for Mrs CCU, some 30-ish years ago. My days in HS on the track team were far less practice than your daughter’s band.

Hell when I was racing bikes, my longest days of training were on the weekends. I rarely did more than 2 or 3 hours/day during the week. So yeah, something seems odd for your daughter.

2 Likes

I was in the marching band in high school, at Hillcrest, in the early 70’s. we practiced every afternoon directly after school for 90 minutes. We were not, however, a competition band, meaning we were only preparing for school events. largely the football and basketball games. We never traveled. I’m guessing your situation is different and that the band director has higher goals and ambitions, and plans to travel and compete in regional or nation competitions. But that’s just a guess - perhaps what your describing if more common now than my experience 50 years ago.

I was also in the orchestra, and stage (Jazz) band, and I practiced for all three in total, less than your daughter does just for marching band. it seems excessive.

1 Like

They did get a new band director this year, so maybe this is his way of having the kids “prove themselves”.

I don’t want to be that parent who complains though, because I don’t want it to affect her standing in the band. I just find it all very excessive.

3 Likes

Why is finding a spiral sliced honey ham at a grocery store turned into a major expedition? I used to get them at Costco, Reams and Smith’s all the time. Now? No Bueno.

Somewhere George Carlin and his dog are laughing their ■■■■■ off.

2 Likes

Someone needs to bring up the sleep (and nutrition - do they eat between 2:30 and 5:30?). This seems way excessive. Is this all extra-curricular, or is there a class for the music portion of it?

When I was in band 30 years ago, we practiced 0/1st period (6:45-8:30?) and every once in a while as it got closer to a competition (we went to 3 - one local, one state, one further out), we might practice a few times after school. We had 2 week band camp before school began (2 or 3 a days) to install the first part of the set. We went to football games and practiced what we had installed at halftime.

Bands now that are ambitious are amping it up and it’s a cult. They think they are freaking drum and bugle corps. Maybe it’s 5:30-9 for kids to participate in other sports too, but 3 1/2 hours 4x a week is insane. Maybe 2 hours 4x a week or 3 1/2 hours twice a week. Maybe the new director is ambitious, but also showing how inefficient it’s being run. The kids are going to max out on improving at some point everyday.

As you said, hopefully she can get her HW done in the 3 hour break. See what you can do to tighten up the schedule to wake up at 6am. Maybe, if possible, a 20-30 min nap in the afternoon would do wonders as well.

2 Likes

(Whistle) - Projection Foul ! ! !

:wink:

5 Likes

I did have a friend that made her teens sleep when they got home from school. It was their pet peeve, but she insisted.

3 Likes

That reminds me of Drum Corps fanaticism. Utah marching band culture VERY competitive, and highly regarded around country. American Fork is legendary for decades

1 Like

Not a peeve at all, but I very much enjoy Utah’s Marching Band, and our great drum line. Most enjoyable half time in the Hunty is when they perform.

.

3 Likes

People who take their sweet time in public restrooms when other people need to use the facilities.

3 Likes

No kidding. With my gut issues sometimes waiting isn’t really an option. One time I had to wait about 10 minutes while some teenager was in the stall playing with his phone.

3 Likes

They also have a $1 million+ band budget (insane).

Not knowing anything about marching band prior to last year, it’s really weird to me that AF completes against teams with less than half their size and budget (like ours). Of course they’re going to win everything. With that budget, they better!

1 Like

Oh I understand 100% about the gut issues. Man does it make being nice difficult somedays.

2 Likes

Are you sure he was just playing with the phone? :wink:

3 Likes