The pet peeves thread

• working harder at free loading than simply doing one’s job
  • calling names in arguments if over age of 7
  • scamming old and vulnerable people
  • left lane drivers
  • social engineering
  • drunk women who go topless at football games (mainly on days when I have to pee at halftime and miss it)
1 Like

I thought I remembered a thread for this topic :slight_smile:

Yesterday afternoon’s pet peeve - being asked by someone who is clearly 30 years younger than me, for an ID, prior to being allowed to purchase liquor at a state liquor store.

EDIT: to say (at the risk of raising the ire of @Buhbye for making this even more political), that if the freedom and privacy zealots in the Utah Legislature were also drinkers, or in some cases admitted to it, I’m sure there would be a law passed immediately disallowing the requirement that a state ID be scanned into the system before an adult can purchase an adult beverage in a state run liquor store.

8 Likes

Yeah, they scan the code on the back, as does Costco whenever I buy beer. And still we have the Legislature and the screaming monkeys complaining that they don’t want to be tracked by vaccine cards which don’t get scanned.

7 Likes

That’s an insult to screaming monkeys.

6 Likes

Spitting and snorting!

I am in the waiting room while my husband is having surgery and some dude has elected to munch on sunflower seeds in the waiting room. I get to listen to him chomp the seeds the spit into the cup, followed shortly by a nasty snort. Thank goodness for airpods!

8 Likes

5 Likes

I’ll add to your 2nd part. Here in, at least this part of NC, people don’t even get into the intersection to make a lefthand turn. I don’t know if its cultural or if they’re taught that, but it drives me batty because 2 or 3 other cars could turn if they’d just get into the intersection to make a friggin 90 degree left hand turn.

2 Likes

From a driver’s ed coursebook I saw:

If you didn’t know it before, let us be the first to tell you: tailgating is rude, stupid , and illegal.

Think about it: How much time will you save by traveling one second behind a vehicle instead of two seconds? One second . And to save that one second you exponentially increase your chances of causing a collision.

Still think it’s worth the risk to save one second? The next time you rear-end someone, you might change your mind, especially when the motorist whose vehicle you struck hits you back: with a lawsuit for repairs, medical expenses, lost wages, and “pain and suffering.” You won’t get to hit him back with your own lawsuit for damages, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering (after all, you have already hit him). Saving one second will definitely cause you plenty of pain and suffering!

Even if the motorist in front of you is driving too slowly, don’t try to “give him a hint” by tailgating. Rather than speeding up, he may slow down even more, leading to a rear-end collision where you get to pay for the damages. Be smart and follow at a safe distance until you can pass safely and legally.

4 Likes

Why did I see the word tailgate and get all confused? Somehow my mind went immediately to football tailgating and things didn’t make sense.

It was kind of like I became Emily LaTella on SNL discussing “endangered feces.” :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

It’s not the one second, it’s the guy who darts in between you and the car in front of you. That’s a challenge to my manhood!

1 Like

If you have some time to kill watch “Idiots in Cars” videos on YouTube. Lots of tailgating crashes there, many caused by what you say, someone darting around a slowed vehicle only to find the lane on the other side is much slower or stopped.

After watching these one thing I have sworn not to do is take advantage of some well-meaning person in an inside lane stopping to allow me a left turn in front of them, when some yahoo could be barreling through on their right where I can’t see them. Lots of t-bones from that move.

4 Likes

Patients who come into my primary care practice with 10 complaints and the LAST thing they say is, “oh, and by the way I’ve been having chest pain”

3 Likes

@Washute95 … could be worse. Could be the fact their urinary tract is so messed up they keep getting infections. :wink:

1 Like

How about as a patient where the primary care person actively poo poos symptoms. Took my current primary care person awhile to actually pay attention to my UC symptoms, to work with my GI doc. She’s gonna be less happy when I come in Friday morning asking about further tests and a request for a referral in regards to related Autoimmune Disease(s). I suspect she’s too used to dealing with folks who just take her words as gospel, and not being questioned.

1 Like

I do not at all condone the minimization of any symptom. It’s simly rather annoying when the most pressing symptom is left to the very end as something like chest pain requires much more attention, time and effort than nearly anything else that precedes it. I welcome questioning and have many times changed course (with good results) based on patient critique.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that. Unlike some (many?) patients I do try to get the big stuff out early, then the lesser stuff later.

Just remember every day brings the next Monty Python sketch in the door. :wink:

“I have a weird wart, hair growing on the top of my ears, my wife turned me into a newt (got better)…oh, and I have a sucking chest wound.” :wink:

6 Likes

:angry: so yeah, to get started on a new medication for my UC I have to go through a specialty pharmacy. I went through a different specialty pharmacy for last medication, and they were helpful and knowledgeable. The new one has been less than stellar in either being helpful or knowledgeable.

The real irritating part is that I’ve talked to the Customer Care, or Patient Support, or whatever they want to call that department that is supposed to schedule the initial in Doctor’s office infusion for the new med 4x over the last 4 days over the exact same thing - scheduling the shipment. How hard is it to schedule? Yes, I realize that the med can only be overnighted. I don’t care. Yes, I know you have to talk to the doc’s office to make sure that they’ll receive it. I don’t care, just do your damn job and let me know it’s on the way. You guys (the pharmacy) are holding this up, not me. Don’t treat me like the idiot here. It’s your process that sucks. Fix it.

Ok, I’ll get off the soapbox, just had to rant, minus the cussing that is going through my head.

Due to a very rare medical condition, Mrs. SkinyUte had around 20 abdominal surgeries before she was 3 years old. The resulting damage has caused significant issues with her digestive system, which requires her to take a specific daily medication. She will be on this medication for the rest of her life

Our pharmacy is required to contact the doctor’s office before each monthly refill so they can confirm the medication is “still necessary”. Thing is, the only way the medicine would not be necessary is if her body somehow magically sprouts a new colon.

Yet every month, we have to play the game of calling the pharmacy to do the refill, have them call back to say it needs doctor approval, call the doctor’s office to get the approval, have them verify all their records and get the doctor to sign off on it (which typically takes a week, sometimes more), call the pharmacy back, and then they can finally fill the prescription.

We’ve asked the doctor if there’s any way he could either just issue a blanket renewal approval or put it in his records that it is approved so we don’t have to have his staff bother him every month, but they are either unable or unwilling to do that. So Mrs. SkinyUte gets to run the gauntlet every single month of multiple calls to get doctor approvals and shuffle information back and forth, simply because neither the doctor or the pharmacy can be bothered to figure out a better way.

It’s hugely frustrating.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine the headache that you and your wife have to go through monthly. I don’t have the patience to put up with idiocy like that, at least put up with it quietly. I quickly become “that” customer if things don’t improve one.