The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

Listened to Shady Grove the other day. Love this one too.

2 Likes
2 Likes

My favorite by them:

1 Like

The 80’s are my time. Annie Lennox has such a powerful voice.

2 Likes

I think the Dead covered country like no one’s bussiness (even better than FBB) but thats probably a sacrilegious statement.

So here’s a classic Merle Hagggard cover:

3 Likes

Heres another obscure Jug Band cover, drenched in blues:

3 Likes

That’s a good one; had forgotten about it. Always liked this one too.

2 Likes

Another good one

3 Likes

A bit of trivia. Their great late lead guitar player, John Cipollina, has a younger brother, Mario, who was an original member of Huey Lewis and the news.

6 Likes

Love the New Order, especially their deeper cuts from Brotherhood, Low-Life and Power Corruption & Lies. I am defiantly jaded towards Blue Monday though. Everything’s Gone Green is a great introduction of New Order’s coming of age after the death of Ian Curtis and name change from Joy Division.

1 Like
5 Likes
3 Likes

The Brad Pitt picture with the mustache reminds me of my favorite roles of his, Inglorious Basterds

1 Like

Every time I listen to him, I realize how much he must have listened to BB King when he was young.

Seeing the Siouxie post sent me down a rabbit hole of my favorite female-fronted goth/darkwave/industrial bands. Good times.

Youth Code - "Commitment to Complications" (Official Audio) - YouTube (saw them open up for Skinny Puppy once. They absolutely tore the roof off the place)

3 Likes

Was watching The Green Mile tonight…

5 Likes

That tune has been covered by most of the best Jazz musicians since that film was release (way before I was born). M absolute favorite version is the following:

Cheek To Cheek - Phil Woods - YouTube

The first almost minute is a bunch of interesting noodling, then the first verse of the the song at the original tempo, before the band goes very upbeat with the this GREAT old tune.

1 Like

Love that version! Who’s playing guitar?

1 Like

He’s good isn’t he? A guy named Harry Leahey, who I know little about, except for his recordings with Phil Woods (and I think I have some old Gerry Mulligan recordings with him as well).

The wonderful thing about Youtube is you can find a little of everything. Below is something I just found with Harry (on an L5 exactly like mine) from 1986.

Harry Leahey Trio ''Nuages'' - April 23, 1986 Monroe Community College Rochester, NY - YouTube

This is the first I have heard him, and holey moley, a lot of SRV vibes as well.

1 Like