The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

Saw these guys last week. Pretty damn good.

Haven’t heard this song in years…

2 Likes

I saw them at Park West in 1989. One of my all-time favorite concerts!

1 Like

Given the impending EPIC release of a new ABBA album after 40 years ( and the 3 songs released so far have been amazing), I’ve been going thru my entire ABBA catalog (including the foreign language versions).

With the meteoric rise of the Eurovision 2021 winners, I’ve been listening to everything by Måneskin I can find. They even played Fallon’s show other night and blasted it out of the park… That song if theirs is no 15 on Billboard right now, and they have been tapped to open for THE STONES in Vegas soon

Continuing from a different thread, where this is more appropriate…

I became aware of the studio in Muscle Shoals, Alabama decades ago and discovered how much great music had been recorded there. I’ve been taking to anybody that would listen about it since, but it’s still a secret.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Met Bill Walton at the Dead, & Co show. He had a large table reserved at Ann’s Wine Bar, were we hung out Saturday/Sunday. Lovely venue.
I thanked him for supporting the Utes over the years. He was very receptive and pleasant. Didn’t hurt I was wearing this under a sport coat…

Go Bill/Go UTES!

3 Likes
3 Likes

For anyone with any curiosity about Dead & Company or fans of John Mayer as a guitarist, let this most recent Halloween show audio tape indicate the level of musicianship and commitment to a remarkable catalog of songs. Songs are in alphabetical order, but it really doesn’t matter.
A once upon a time experience in Hollywood:

1 Like

I might get flamed for this by some people here but starting in the summer I started listening to a small collection of Aerosmith Songs. “Toys in the Attic” is great. They are incredibly patchy after that but I have a few guilty pleasure songs. I do think Joe Perry is AWESOME.

1 Like

Someone mentioned recently that John Mayall was in Park City a few weeks ago and I said I had always wanted to see him, but had not heard about the recent concert. I was listening to some of his old stuff and remembered that I had in fact heard him at the old Terrace Ballroom years ago (I looked up the date - 9/26/1972).

At that time, he was moving away from his traditional blues and was doing a lot of a (then) new form called Jazz Blues Fusion. I was so blown away by his guitar player, Freddie Robinson, that I forgot all about Mayall. I have lots of subsequent Freddie Robinson albums.

Here’s a sample - this album was recorded live in late 1971, by the same personnel I saw in 1972 - it’s ALL GREAT stuff!

3 Likes

Though this was from a video class, something from my wife’s cousin Kenny.

We spent the weekend in St. George with him, and to hear him perform as a guest performer with the St. George Rebel Jazz Orchestra. He goes back to NYC next week to prep for the annual JALC Christmas program.

On a side note, part of the visit was to promote the “Essentially Ellington” program that promotes and teaches high school jazz programs the works of Duke Ellington. Prior to COVID, JALC hosted a number of high school jazz programs to come participate in a Duke Ellington festival at Lincoln Center.

2 Likes
2 Likes

New Album is out this week and this single is perfection:

1 Like

This is still my favorite album of 2021. Zero skips:

1 Like

Yola is excellent. She’s coming to SLC next spring.

1 Like

Nice. She was the opener before the pandemic with Kacey Musgraves, Harry Styles, and Maggie Rogers. She really is perfect for any genre.

Check out Amythyst Kiah if she ever comes through:

Khruangbin came to Red Butte this summer. I should have gone.

2 Likes

Christmas Music. Duh.

FTFO!

1 Like

This came out of absolute nowhere, and might be my favorite album of 2021 (although I expect it’ll get unseated by Aquilus’ new one in a couple weeks). Nasty, gnarly, old-school death/doom metal is always welcome.

1 Like