The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

She’s just lovely.

4 Likes

I know I’ve posted this before, but, this is a great documentary of an amazing, talented and yes, lovely human being.

4 Likes

She is a very classy lady who has performed such a wide variety of music. I love that she celebrated her Mexican Heritage, by releasing Canciones de Mi Padre (Songs of My Father) and did so successfully and against the advice of nearly everyone in the recording industry. It’s some of my favorite music.

She suffers gracefully from Parkinson’s Disease, which leaves her unable to sing :frowning:

Two of my favorites of her songs:

5 Likes
2 Likes

I have both of her Canciones album ( I actually enjoy the second one a bit more) and her Cuban album, “Frenesi”. I can actually sing a good number of those Canciones by heart now!

3 Likes

Its all in the documentary. Jack Smith tried to talk her out of it they said it would “ruin her career” She said “I don’t care. It’s for my father.” Now its still the highest grossing non-english album ever sold.

4 Likes

They are coming to Red Butte.

5 Likes

Wow! That is, as is most good classical/Spanish guitar, a major technical accomplishment. It also shows some real creativity in translating not only Jimmy Page’s guitar work on the original tune, but the composite of the entire ensemble.

3 Likes

Check out Rodridgo and Gabriela just rocking it out here.

1 Like

Speaking of classical guitar-ish instruments (Mandolin), I’m catching up on my 20 year back log of music-I-knew-was-good-but-was-too-busy-to-get-into.

I knew REM was big, but I had no idea they were world-wide. In an interview, bassist Mike Mills said he was in Paraguay helping to arrange a return of some land back to an indigenous tribe, they barely could hear a distant AM station, which had “Losing My Religion” in the rotation. “That’s when I realized it was bigger than we thought”.

For being a shy kid, Michael Stipe was quite the showman.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Probably my favorite PF song. This is the first time Iv’e seen Billy perform, despite 50 years of Grateful Dead fandome

3 Likes

Billy Strings is the best thing to happen to bluegrass in 20+ years.

2 Likes

Another great cover. Goose (a GREAT jam band, like the Dead) is playing tonight, the venue has been changed to Saltaire.

2 Likes

i had not heard of goose til i came across this . Imaigne being a keyboard player and hearing “hey bruce is going to take over for 4-6 of jamming his song. just stand there and watch”

3 Likes
3 Likes