The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

Bread was never hip. They made several songs that landed in the top 40 before the disco craze. Their lead singer, David Gates, had a solo gig for a while, but never hit the success he had with Bread.

2 Likes

Oh, and before you all start scratching your heads, my brother was a DJ and sports news guy on a local radio station (KOVO) back in the day.

1 Like
2 Likes

I got my first album ever in 1973 for my birthday. Best of Bread. I was 10. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

I’ve probably posted this before (possibly multiple times) but, you simply cannot sustain a bad day listening to Etta James.

5 Likes

Barf alert - I heard a remake of this song by Shelby Lynne which was actually pretty good, but the original… wow, boy. (Send me any laundry bills)

And WTH is the deal with the guy who looks like Dandy Don Meredith?

1 Like

I made it to :47 before hurling my lunch ! That dude does look like Dandy Don🤣

1 Like

The original was by Dusty Springfield. And it was ok.

These guys however…

3 Likes

And this is they type of thing I remember of my childhood in the '70s. “Cool” in the only way the I remember the '70s being – not at all, if you’re wondering, at least in my memories.

1 Like

I got lured into picking pineapples on Maui in the Summer '80. It was one of those 20% cool, 80% “what the hell did I agree to?” kind of deals.

One day a guy in a van came to our work compound selling “Lahaina City Rollers” attire from a failed skate rental business on the Lahaina side. I bought a shirt for 1$, mostly so I could embarrass my siblings in public wearing that thing.

“S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y… NIGHT!”

Mike Myers did a better job on that idea.

3 Likes
6 Likes

I’m gonna burn your ears! At least they could play it live.

1 Like

The Dead covered this song a bunch in the 60’s and I think Pigpen did it equal justice.
RIP Pig.

3 Likes

I like balladeers. In the 70s I went on a date to a concert in the Special Events Center (remember when it was called that?). We went to see Seals and and Croft, who were pretty hot back then. The opening act was some guy named Billy Joel, who I had never heard of. I sat impatiently with my date, hoping he would not take too long to get through his set. I saw he was just one guy with a grand piano. No band. I rolled my eyes. Then he played “Piano Man.” After he finished there was a few seconds of silence, then the SEC audience erupted. I didn’t even want to listen to Seals & Crofts anymore that night.

Billy wrote 'Piano Man" when he was working in a piano lounge in mid-Los Angeles. He was playing under an assumed name because he was in a fight with his first label and didn’t want anyone to know he was playing publicly in such a venue.

It’s funny that Billy didn’t really think “Piano Man” was a very good song:

“I have no idea why that song became so popular. It’s like a karaoke favorite. The melody is not very good and very repetitious, while the lyrics are like limericks. I was shocked and embarrassed when it became a hit. But my songs are like my kids and I look at that song and think: ‘My kid did pretty well.'”

1 Like

Did he play the harmonica part as well?

As I recall, yes, he did. It was fascinating to watch.

2 Likes